Author Topic: Can you use Wake to Sleep with 3 year old???  (Read 934 times)

Offline jsorrow24

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • My beautiful children Jacob and Lanie
Can you use Wake to Sleep with 3 year old???
« on: April 12, 2006, 17:36:48 pm »
I have posted on another topic that I am having trouble with my 3.5 year old staying in her own bed. She hates it. She used to have a queen size bed and now she has a twin with a loft bunk bed on the top. I can get her to fall asleep in her own bed, but during the night she would come to our room and we would give in and let her stay. This happened a few times before our lo arrived in January, but now it's happening more frequently and she even has just went to bed with us some nights.

Well, I have started buckling down and making her go to bed in her bedroom and no matter how tired I am or dh is we take her back to her room if she wakes in the middle of the night.

My question is if she is waking out of habit, will wake to sleep work on a 3 year old??? I haven't read all of Tracy's 2nd book and I was just thinking about it today while I am work (don't have my book with me).

If not, any suggestions on nipping her night wakings to want to come to our room. I know not letting her in our bed will help. She didn't come in last night until 3:30, as opposed to the other night at 1:30 and 3:30a.

Jennifer

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: Can you use Wake to Sleep with 3 year old???
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 19:42:25 pm »
I'd stick with what you are doing for now because if wake to sleep backfires and she becomes fully awake she may wonder what you are doing in her room in the middle of the night and make things worse.  When my older dd was doing this what really worked for us was to explain that by waking us in the middle of the might mummy and daddy were getting really grumpy and cross during the day and that's why we would be cranky with her.  Once she realized that there was something in it for her we've had no problems since!