Author Topic: night wakings and daycare  (Read 982 times)

Offline Hannah1306

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Gotta Wear Shades
night wakings and daycare
« on: April 17, 2006, 18:47:28 pm »
My DD is 3 1/2 months old and I have just gone back to work full time.  She seems to be adjusting okay to daycare but I know they are not following her 3 hour EASY routine.  I have let it slide this past week, figuring I needed to give everyone time to get adjusted, but now I would like to try and get her back onto the routine.  Does anyone have any good suggestions for how to talk/deal with her daycare.  I realize that there is no way for them to give her their full attention all the time like she gets at home (although they have a 3 to 1 infant to caregiver ratio which is pretty good), but I am not sure how much leeway I should give them.

Also, my DD has been waking once or twice at night for the last month or so (even when she was at home during the day and on the 3 hour EASY routine).  She does not wake at the same times each night, and does not appear interested in eating as she will usually go back to sleep easily if I reswaddle her and give her back her paci.  Basically she does not seem able to put herself back to sleep at night and I am wondering if it might have something to do with being swaddled or her paci.  She is just beginning to find her hands and mouth and is not able to use them to suck on/self-soothe yet.  She goes to sleep more easily if she is swaddled; however, she is waking up at night struggling to get her arms out.  She will start by fussing a little and will eventually work her self into a full on cry if I let it go.  I will usually go in and pick her up to reswaddle once I hear her beginning to escalate beyond fussing.  She does not resist being swaddled when I put her down.  I am wondering if I should quit swaddling her, and then I will have to deal with trying to find a new way to help her settle at night (and I fear an increased number of wakings at least initially).  I have tried leaving one or both arms out when I put her down, but she does not go down nearly as easily as when she is fully swaddled, and then she usually wakes after 10 minutes or so.  I have used a pacifier from the start.  She uses it when settling down to sleep (both naps and at night) or when she is fussing during the day (such as when she is hungry but the bottle is not quite ready).  She does not wake when the pacifier falls out, so I am not sure if it would be considered a prop at this point?  Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jill
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: night wakings and daycare
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 16:54:13 pm »
bump!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 00:45:55 am »
Hi Jill

Re daycare:  have you provided them with a written copy of a rough idea of how you would like the day to look?  If you explain to them that you are keen to keep to an EAS pattern (eat, activity, sleep) and give them a rough schedule of how that happens at home, it might make it easier for them to try and stick to what you are hoping for.  I would also ask them (if they don't already) to keep a log of what does actually happen during the day - that way you know and can see what specific areas you might like them to adjust.

Re the props:  I am no expert on dummys or swaddling - but I think that continuing to swaddle given your DD's age shouldn't be a problem.  If it were me I would look at the dummy before the swaddling.  You could try having a look or posting on the props board to see if they can give you some better advice. 

HTH
Jo

Offline Hannah1306

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Gotta Wear Shades
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 14:24:47 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I did provide them with the information about the EASY schedule, but I am not sure how much it has helped/or rather how much attention has been paid.  They do keep a log of everything, and I am planning on looking at her patterns over the last week or so to see if she may already be on some type of schedule that I can just tweak rather than trying to start from scratch. 
Thanks,
Jill
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80