Author Topic: 7 week old waking at exact same time  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Southernbelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Mom to three beautiful kids!
« on: April 13, 2006, 16:15:47 pm »
My DD is only seven weeks old, so I expect a night feeding still, but the confusion has come because she wakes up exactly at the same time at night....sometimes on the minute.  IT doesn't seem to make a difference if her DF was late or earlier...she still wakes at 3:30am.  I have tried holding her off with a paci and it has worked once or twice for and hour.  Should I stop trying to give her the paci and just assume she needs this feeding even though it seems to be a pattern.  With my DS , when I noticed this happening at this age I gave him the paci a few nights and he soon dropped the feeding.  She just gets mad with the paci and works herself up.  I BF during the day but at night she gets thickened formula (recommended by GI Dr) to prevent her reflux from acting up.  She is already 12 pounds and eats 6-7 times a day. I am grateful that she only feeds once a night, but it's hard not to compare her to my DS.  Any ideas would help.  thanks.
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
Re: 7 week old waking at exact same time
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 20:35:22 pm »
I recomend if the paci isn't working you feed her. If she's getting that worked iup she needs the feed. She's still young. Try agin in a couple weeks and see if that makes a difference.
Kimberly

Offline Southernbelle

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 20:46:00 pm »
Thanks.  I try the paci for a few minutes and then go ahead and feed her.  She's a big girl, so I guess I expected her to be making it a least six hours by now at night.  She is also on a few meds right now to help with her tummy trouble.  Maybe after they are done we will see some improvement.  Thanks for the suggestion.
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline erinsmum36

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 21:17:05 pm »
hi - my 8 week old was doing the same thing - first of all at 12:30am and just when I was convinced it was a habit she went to 3:30am.. now she wakes within 30 mins of this time and always takes a 20 min feed so as far as Im concerned she is hungry. I would feed her and try to ignore the time for now - I bet she will change the time herself over the next 2 or 3 weeks - I was also amazed how my LO woke at exactly the same time, but seeing as she does the same thing every three hours during the day for her easy routine I spose its not surprising that their night feeds are also 'routine'.

I have yet to introduce a df so mine goes thru from 6pm to 3:30am, so Ill let you know if it moves the 3am feed on a bit - i guess its one way to know if its a habit or not!

Offline Southernbelle

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 14:27:20 pm »
Erinsmum, that's great that your lo goes 9 hours in one block.  I would die for that right now.  My Lo finally dropped the 3:30am wake time.  Now she wakes between 5:00 and 6:00.  We do a dream feed between 10:00-10:30 so she is doing 7-8 hours straight.  That's pretty good.  It's just hard not to compare her to my DS who was sleeping 12 hours thru at 12 weeks.  DD is now 11 weeks old and barely making 8.  I am BF her much more than DS so that may be the difference.  The trick is for me to get into bed right after the DF so I feel more rested in the morning.  Thanks for all the input.
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months