Author Topic: started night waking, and short nap  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Messa

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
  • Simply Gorgeous!
started night waking, and short nap
« on: April 13, 2006, 18:27:02 pm »
How old is your child?
She is 5.5 months 6 months 4/24/06.
What’s his/her daily routine?
5-6>>Wake
7>>Feed 7/8 oz bottle
8>>Cereal and fruit or veggie
9-11>>Nap I have to wake after 2 hrs
11>>Feed 7/8 oz bottle
1-1:45>>Nap
3>>Feed 7/8 oz bottle
4-5>>(new) nap
6:45>>bath (if bath night)
7-7:30>>bed routine/bottle 8oz
7:30>>in bed awake

What’s nap routine?
She goes down for 2 naps usually but found she was tired around 5-3:30 so tried 3rd nap
am nap is at 9, pm nap is at 1 and evening nap is at 4

How long are naps?
This is part of the problem they never stay the same, a few days both naps are great I have to wake after 2 hrs, then it will change and am nap will be great I wake her after 2 hrs  but pm nap will only be 30-45 mins and she wont go back to sleep once she is awake/awake she is done, then it will switch and am nap will be short and pm nap will be long I wake her after 2 hrs so... we just started the evening nap as an actuall schedule mostly she used to fall asleep in my arms while I tried to calm her (she gets cranky when tired)
What's bedtime routine? Time?
She is in her bed 7:30ish, we start at 6:45 with a bath (if bath night) other wise we start at 7 starting with rub down with lotion or oil, brush hair, rub gums, lots of cream, diaper pjs, we have one of those projector mobiles and it is on with songs, then we turn it to sound effects crickets or something and wrap in blanket with arms out (don't think she needs it but I want to cover her and this is the only way to do it so she doesn't get the blanket in her face), bottle 8oz, turn off sound effects, read, put in bed sing twinkle, twinkle while rubbing head, turn on white noise, turn off angel and moon light telling them goodnight.
Do you bottle or breastfed??
Bottle after mastitus and clogged ducts due to nipple shield and poor latching, I lost milk supply, switched at 3 months
How much? or how long?
7/8 oz
How many wakes per night?
Just started to wake once, between 3:30-4:30
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?
She will start whine/grunt, when she gets upset I go in, she is then happy to see me and wants to be up, once she is awake it takes 2 hrs for her to go back to sleep, yesturday I gave her 4 oz and she went to sleep a little sooner but I know she doesn't need to be fed she hasn't since she was 4 months, so I didn't give her one today (don't want it to become a habit)
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
a
What have you tried to settle??
re-wrapping blanket, rubbing head, singing twinkle,twinkle, rubbing belly, if really upset I pick her up, telling her night, night, shushing, give her her luvie (new not sure if she is attached thought she did have this morning at night waking)
What do you do for A time and how long is it?
well it is between feeding and nap so 1hr + she will sit in her swing with toys, walker with toys, bouncy seat with toys, on floor for tummy time or on back with toys and activity bar, we sit on floor and play with toys, we sing, rhymes etc, she is great at playing on her own too
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
I think she might be teething but not sure, no signs in her mouth, last week she had a fever one day for a little while but it went away and never came back (started night waking about then) she is drooling but has been since 3 months, she likes to chew on things...
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
We introduced cereal at 4.5 months per Dr advice, fruits at 5 months and veggies this week, she gets about 1.5-2 tblpns cereal and 1/2 jar or less 2x a day
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
We use paci only for car seat meltdowns, we did use paci to transition from always needing me to sleeping in her own bed and not on me but we haven't used it for sleep since about 4.5 months
Do they have a lovie?
Yes, a flat blue bear with teethers for hands and feet
Melissa

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
Re: started night waking, and short nap
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 04:03:40 am »
well i think you are totally right on about not feeding when lo wakes as it is best NOT to create that habit. at around six months lo's do go through growth spurts so you may want to start trying to give an oz or two extra formula in daytime bottles so lo won't start waking even more often to feed at night.

this one early waking is probably b/c lo doesn't need as much daysleep/naps. it is usually at about 6-8 months that lo's start to drop the catnap and a sure sign is lo not wanting to go down for the catnap or night wakings.  soo, my suggestion is to start extending the A time a little bit to get lo to have a later A time before bed so she doesn't get overtired by bedtime- just extend a few minutes every few days, and in the meantime instead of the catnap, try putting lo to sleep earlier for a few days to get things sorted out.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Messa

• Simply Gorgeous!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 18:56:02 pm »
Thank you soooooo much for your reply.  I will try extending A time and feeding more during the day.  Thanx again!!!
Melissa

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 02:13:32 am »
no prob - if this doesn't help after a few days let me know and i will see what else i can come up with!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Messa

• Simply Gorgeous!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 16:57:16 pm »
I am still having some problems especially with her consistancy.  She was doing great the end of last week beginning of this week then 4/19 she woke at 3:30 am and was ready to start her day.  When she woke she was just talking to herself and "singing" so I left her until about 4:30 when she started to get upset.  So I went in and rolled her to her side so that I could rub her back and she settled so I kissed her told her nigh' night and left.  Well she got upset and I went in after 10min or so rolled her and rubbed her back and she fell asleep.  So I left and about 5 mins later she woke up uspet so I waited for about 10min again and went in rubbed her back and she fell asleep then she woke again after about 5 min and then went back to sleep.  It was about 5:30 at this time the 2 hour mark which is generally how long it takes her to fall asleep if she wakes in the early morning.  When I go into her she is very happy to see me giggles smiles, and wants to play.  Again this morning she woke early she cried at 2, 3, 4, just small short cries but definetley could tell she was restless and woke at 5 was ready to start her day.  I didn't give her a cat nap yesturday evening and tried to limit naps but feel so bad doing it.  I was wondering if you could give me an example of what her schedule should ideally look like at her age with extending A time and all how long should naps be etc (will be 6 months on 4/24). Thanx.
Melissa

Offline teezee

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 17:06:06 pm »
could you pls post what her routine looks like now? have you been doing anything else new?..has she? it could also be developmental at this point.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline teezee

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 17:08:08 pm »
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Messa

• Simply Gorgeous!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 17:45:36 pm »
Well when she has good naps and isn't wakiing early this is our routine when she wakes early she may need to go down earlier for first nap and I adjust to try and get it back to a normal day

Nothing new that I can think of, she has been rolling from belly to back for quite some time and she rolled from back to belly for first time yesturday but this early morning wake started before that....as I said sometimes she does fine sleeps all night then few days later she may wake early for a few days then back to all night

How old is your child?
Will be 6 months in 4 days.

What’s his/her daily routine?
5-6>>Wake plays in crib
7>>Feed 7/8 oz bottle
7:20-8/8:30>>Activity usually in walker while I get older son b-fast,lunch off to school
8/8:30>>Cereal and fruit or veggie
9-10:30/11>>Nap I have to wake after 2 hrs trying to wake after 1.5 (is this right)
11>>Feed 7/8 oz bottle
11:20-1pm>>Activity walk, play on floor work on rolling etc
1-2:30/3>>Nap sometimes have to wake her depends on if having good naps may only sleep for 40 mins
3>>Feed 7/8 oz bottle
3:20-4:30>>Activity work on sitting, play with daddy
4:30-5/5:30>>(new) nap has always passed out in my arms now giving scheduled was doing great and sleeping later then she changed again
5:30>>cereal and fruit or veggie
6:30>>bath (if bath night)
7-7:15>>bed routine
7:15-7:30/7:45>>bottle 8oz read
7:30/7:45>>in bed awake

What’s nap routine?
Change diaper, wrap in blanket, read book, down in bed, sing twinkle, twinkle

How long are naps?
Well on good nap days 1.5-2hrs (trying to limit to 1.5) on bad nap days hard to say she switches it around usually one nap good other one is 40 mins

What's bedtime routine? Time?
She is in her bed 7:30ish, we start at 6:30ish with a bath (if bath night) other wise we start at 7 starting with rub down with lotion or oil, brush hair, rub gums, lots of cream, diaper pjs, we have one of those projector mobiles and it is on with songs, then we turn it to sound effects crickets or something and wrap in blanket with arms out (don't think she needs it but I want to cover her and this is the only way to do it so she doesn't get the blanket in her face), bottle 8oz, turn off sound effects, read, put in bed sing twinkle, twinkle while rubbing head. turn off angel and moon night lights (leave dim start night light on) telling them goodnight.  Kiss her tell her we love her, say nigh' night see you in the morning sleep good. And we leave. (Sometimes we both put her down sometimes just dh sometimes just me depends on if he is home or if there is something one of us needs to do)

Do you bottle or breastfed??
Bottle>>after mastitus and clogged ducts due to nipple shield and poor latching, I lost milk supply, switched at 3 months

How much? or how long?
7/8 oz

How many wakes per night?
Just started to wake once early morning anywhere between 3:30-5, sometimes will sleep until 6-6:30 then she changes and wakes early???

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?

She will talk, "sing" to herself, will get upset after about and hour then I go in and she is happy all grins and giggles,then upset when I tuck her back in and not pick her up, generally will stay awake for 2 hrs before going back to sleep.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
Mostly she will be fussy/crying, not sure what mantra cry is.

What have you tried to settle??
re-wrapping blanket, rubbing head, singing twinkle,twinkle, rubbing belly, rolling and rubbing back sometimes falls alseep if do this but then wakes up after 5 mins or so.   if really upset I pick her up, telling her night, night, shushing, give her her luvie

What do you do for A time and how long is it?
well it is between feeding and nap so 1hr 40min or so she will sit in her swing with toys, walker with toys, bouncy seat with toys, on floor for tummy time and practice rolling or on back with toys and activity bar, we sit on floor and play with toys, we sing, rhymes etc, she is great at playing on her own too.

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
I think she might be teething but not sure, no signs in her mouth, she is drooling but has been since 3 months, she likes to chew on things...

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
We introduced cereal at 4.5 months per Dr advice, fruits at 5 months and veggies for 2 weeks, she gets about 1.5 tblpns cereal and 1/2 jar or less 2x a day

Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
We use paci only for car seat meltdowns, we did use paci to transition from always needing me to sleeping in her own bed and not on me but we haven't used it for sleep since about 4.5 months

Do they have a lovie?
Yes, a flat yellow lamb with pastic teethers for hands and feet
Melissa