Author Topic: Anyone dreamfeed with formula??/ Possible growth spurt  (Read 983 times)

Offline Jessi

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Anyone dreamfeed with formula??/ Possible growth spurt
« on: April 14, 2006, 17:13:13 pm »
Hi Ladies,
  My lo is 13 wks old.  She has slept through the night since about 9 weeks, with a dreamfeed at 10pm of expressed breast milk.  However, over the last week or so, I haven't been able to pump enough--just an ounce or two in the am.  I'm wondering if any of you have used formula for a dreamfeed.  If so, what kind?  Do you think this would mess with my milk?  I already feel like I don't have very much at nighttime.

And my second issue...for the last three nights, dd has started fidgeting and being generally unsettled starting around 1am.  She's in a bassinet in our room still.  Anyway, the first night, I got her back down by reswaddling her.  The second night I reswaddled and gave her her paci off and on for a couple of hours.  She didn't really protest, just didn't fully settle.  Last night, I wasn't up for doing that, so I fed her around 2:30 and she slept for a couple of hours, started to fidget again, and I brought her into bed with me  :-[ until 7 when she woke up for another feed.   So my question is, is this new night waking possible due to a growth spurt or something else?  I'm having trouble figuring it out.  I think it could be because her dreamfeed is less, but I can't really get more milk than I am already, which is why I was asking about the formula.  I really only have a chance to pump once or twice a day because I have a two year old running around.

I feel like this may be a bit jumbled, so I apologize  (lack of sleep, I guess). Anyway, I'm hesitant to introduce formula for a dreamfeed, but I also feel like maybe if I do, it'll get her through the night and I won't end up doing things that I know I shouldn't, like put her into bed with me because I'm too tired to deal with it.  I also don't want to get her in the habit of nightfeeding.  Please advise!

Jessi

Offline Carter'sMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
Re: Anyone dreamfeed with formula??/ Possible growth spurt
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 00:53:24 am »
Hi there!

I would be concerned that supplementing with formula at this early age might affect your milk supply.  I think that what your lo is going through right now could very well be a growth spurt, especially if she seems to settle with a feed.  Could you try feeding more often during the daytime for a few days to increase your milk supply?  Or try something like Fenugreek or the Mother's tea (I can't remember the correct name) to help increase supply?  Are you eating well and drinking lots of fluids as these things often have an effect as well.

If you try these things and you still can't seem to increase your supply then I would definitely pump what you can and use that at the dream feed and if she is still hungry than you could add a few ounces of formula.  It's a good idea to keep pumping to keep your supply up and see what happens.  A woman's body is usually very good at making enough milk to satisfy baby.  If she is going through a growth spurt than by all means feed  her in the night as that will tell your body that it needs to make more milk on a regular basis.  I would try (if possible) to use formula as a last resort.

Feel free to ask as many questions as neccessary!  :)
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 14:50:43 pm »
I did do a dreamfeed with formula, but I started when my lo was about 5 months old. 

I think if you cannot pump (I was never very successful and I can completely understand why you can't find the time) then you could introduce formula as a df, but you would have to really watch your supply.  If you feel it is starting to drop, then I would start dfing again.  What you could do is maybe pump at that time for the first little while just to make sure your lo will take the formula without any trouble and then slowly reduce the amt you pump. I don't mean to sound contrary to Carter's Mama by any means, just letting you know that if you want, you can try, but it may hurt your supply.  But formula won't likely help with sleeping through the night, formula can give los digestive problems if it's something they aren't used to. 

Also, it sounds like it could be the 12 week growth spurt just a week late.

I hope this helps
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline Jessi

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 20:01:12 pm »
thanks to you both!

I stuck it out for a couple of days, just feeding more often.  I think it was a growth spurt as we are back to normal now.  :)