Author Topic: Bad news for sippy cups?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« on: April 14, 2006, 20:16:05 pm »
My dentist told me not to use a sippy cup as the contents washes around the teeth even more than with a bottle? He said sippy cups are really bad for the teeth, so is drinking out a bottle or a sports bottle  ???

He said I should try him with a real cup as soon as possible and before that I should get juice into him with a spoon, only the milk should go into bottles, not juice, tea or water. He also said that milk is bad for the teeth as well, because it's sweet...

He advised not to use a bottle ever as soon as he has his first teeth. He was only 12 weeks though? Hmmmm....

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: Bad news for sippy cups?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 20:31:59 pm »
we were told something very similar to that by our dentist , our h/v said after 1yrs no bottle just sippy but our dentist said straight to a cup . we have had no joy with either ! giving him a cup is just asking for trouble. we have success with a cup with a lid and straw . Ryan has been having juice out of a bottle for a while and considering he has reflux aswell the dentist was very pleased with his teeth .
  what the dentist recommends is impossible ! how can you give a 6month old a normal cup , they are going to choke more than they drink !
  when Ryan was 12 months our h/v gave us a guide line on how much milk he had to drink , our pead said he didn't need milk now , if we didn't give him any he would be fine  ::) which advice do you follow  ??? we are all concerned about our lo's teeth. i have to make sure Ryan drinks plenty to ease constipation , he has to drink lots with the med he is on , whilst we were battling with sippy cups he went on strike and wouldn't drink ! it's been very hard getting him off the bottle , the only thing i can do is make sure we brush his teeth regular , he doesn't have sweets , minimal chocolate due to reflux . children do everything when they are ready , i would rather he drank plenty ( even if it is a bottle) rather than be in pain with constipation . 
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 20:55:09 pm »
I have never heard this i am not really sure if this to be true or not. However you hear so many conflicting stories these day its hard to know what to believe. I am a strong beleiver in go with what you think is right for your baby. I can not see how you can teach a baby to use a cup personally and will continue to give my DD milk out of her sippy cup as i much prefer her have it in this than he bottle.
Scott's Maw you do what you think is best for your baby  ;)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline jobi

• VBACing, homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth nappying, babywearing mum to 6...
  • Showing Appreciation 241
  • MUFC-The religion...
    • Ndi
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 20:57:00 pm »
Mine only drink water, would that mean the same??
Jordan has a normal bottle, but the other two are still to young for one  :-\
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 20:58:36 pm by jobi »
Jo  
Mum to
Jordan-28-04-97
Marc Alex-30-06-02
Jamie- 06-05-04
And Shelby- 14-07-07
And now Brandon and Aimee!
Married to kev the invisible!!

Crazy? Moi? Of course!!

Offline ryan's mum

• North Wales U.K
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 21:07:04 pm »
i totally agree go with what's best for your baby . i was told water only is fine in a bottle , but then you have " the teat will make their teeth protrude" there is a lot of conflicting advice on everything , you can't listen to it all . i often feel i have to be cruel to be kind with the bottle issue ( to get rid ) but it's not only that Ryan loves his bottle it's the constipation issue for us too . we have moved further along by having 1 cup/straw of juice and water in bottle . he would benefit soo much by moving to a regular cup as he could get more drink than out of a teat but he just won't !  ::) . i think the more pressure you put on them to drink out of a sippy the more they dig their heals in ! we have given up on sippy cups ( tried 7) we are trying the regular cup , but it spills every where ( we have wooden floors , dangerous ) sippies were fun to pour , even the nuby he would squeeze the end  ::) but he doesn't do it with his bottle .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 21:10:06 pm »
Steffi
I have never heard of this either  ???  I also use a doidy cup to give Calum milk, although I have to hold it.   The cup is like a normal plasic cup, but on a slant so he can see whats in the cup without me having to yip it up.

Zandersmummy put me on to them, she also uses it.  http://www.babyzoop.co.uk/doidy.htm

HTH's
Lauren x

Offline ryan's mum

• North Wales U.K
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 21:14:14 pm »
thanks for the link Lauren , will invest in one of those , willing to try anything . i'm sick of the stares we get when they see him still drinking out of a bottle . what else am i supposed to do .......

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 21:38:08 pm »
My LO is still on the bottle and I tried a sippy cup. But I didn't take the inner lid of so he couldn't get any out   ::)

I gave him the worst start possible and now he screams when he sees the thing... I think it's okay if the drinking out of a bottle doesn't take hours, some babies drink milk (or juice) all night for comfort... I don't do that, he only gets it at mealtimes and he drinks fast and I brush his teeth every night.

Lauren, I will buy this cup, it looks so COOL!

Ryan's mum: constipation is nasty... I wouldn't risk it and can totally understand you. When you see your LO in pain all day you'd do almost anything to relieve it. That's what mommys are there for :)

jobi, I think it's the same for water because if water stays on the teeth for too long, it destroys the natural protection or something. I bet that dentist doesn't have kids though... Or he works all day and his wife gives the babies bottles while he is away  :P

Offline ryan's mum

• North Wales U.K
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 21:40:50 pm »
;D ;D ;D yeah i bet his wife does that

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 14:44:42 pm »
Just been reading the new BOOTS "baby and you" magazine.

They say that the AVENT magic trainer cup is actually BRITISH DENTAL HEALTH FOUNDATION APPROVED.

Lauren

so is this one, just looked at the dental website Tommee Tippee Easyflow Drinking System

Another article goes on to say that;

Using a cup will help keep babies teeth and gums healthy because the fluid spends less time in contact with teeth and gums but, even so it's best to avoid sugary drinks because they can cause tooth decay. If you do give juice, give occasionally and dilute as much as possible.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 18:59:53 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 05:38:26 am »
Thank you very much for this information very useful  ;)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline cornflake girl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 12:49:26 pm »
Wanted to give another vote for the doidy - we started ds using one at 5 months, and by 6 months he'd really got the hang of it. We still have to watch him pretty closely as he'll wave it around when he gets bored. And we always use a trainer cup when we're out - far too messy for that! :)

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 13:22:41 pm »
OK I am being lazy and only read the top post.

A way around the worry of doing damage to teeth for us was to use the sippy cups with water. Unfortunately with my DD cow's milk doesn't go down very well (bad gas) so she just has water (very occasional juice).

The other advice we had was to give things with sugar at mealtimes rather than for snacks so there isn't prolonged contact with the teeth.

I must try the doidy with DS once we are at that stage. I know a long of people recommended them.

[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 14:14:28 pm »
Julie I started at just over 4 months with the Diody, just for DS to get used to it. I would pour the remainer of his bottle (or a little milk) into the cup and we would just practice.

He still uses it but I am not brave enough to give him it on his own, until it is suny and we can go out in the garden and throw the cup and contents about  ;)
Lauren x