Author Topic: Am I being paranoid??  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Am I being paranoid??
« on: April 14, 2006, 21:58:42 pm »
Okay, I have just started dd with solids.  She has had sweet potatoes and peas.  Seems to love her peas.  This is her third day on peas for lunch and she had two bowel movements at daycare today and a huge blowout as well. :o

Should I be concerned about this or is this just part of the joys of starting solids?  I am just unsure about whether the blowout was caused by the peas and if they just aren't settling right with her?

Thanks!

Offline Carter'sMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
Re: Am I being paranoid??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 00:31:49 am »
I noticed a huge difference in Carter's bowel movements after we started solids!  He used to only go every 10 days or more before solids (exclusively breastfed) and after it was 2-3 times a day!  It would also depend on what exactly he ate!  If he had oatmeal, peas, beans or any other high fibre food it was definitely worse than if he had something like a banana.

Was your lo's movements like diarrhea or was it a normal poop?  If it was abnormal then I would be inclined to think that the food wasn't sitting right with her.

HTH  :)
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline home alone

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 13:53:26 pm »
it's little hard to tell exactly what you mean by "blow out".  I think they get extremely gassy when they start solids and my lo startetd poop 3+per day. Maybe give it couple more days?
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline evelyn

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 20:15:18 pm »
Our wee lily started solids about 6 weeks ago...and only now is her system settling down, she went from big squishies, to constipation, to lots of squishies!  It takes a while for their systems to become accustomed to the solids, so dont panic yet!!! :)
Proud mum to Alice 16/3/1999 and Lily 7/10/2005

Baby No. 3 due 20th May 2008.

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 20:24:22 pm »
there have been a few constipation threads , in them mums recommended peas to help un block ! so maybe it is the peas .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 19:31:10 pm »
Sydney we experience this as well, I had forgotten until you mentioned it.  Yes, we had blow-outs are well, not sure what it was caused with. Most likely just her digestive system getting used to something other than milk  :-\

If you are in any way worried speak to your doctor.
Lauren x
Lauren x

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 23:48:13 pm »
Thanks for all of the replies!  I think I was being a bit paranoid :P

Sydney seems to be fine and I gave her peas on Saturday for the fourth day in a row and all is well.  I think she is just getting used to the solids as today she had two "firm" bowel movements :P  Now we are onto sqash ;D