Author Topic: Breast feed to bottle Need Advice Help!!!  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 12:27:17 pm »
I really wouldn't put more scoops in it either. When my little one is constipated I actually have to do the opposite but because it's appropriate formula for him now he is still satisfied and just drinks a bigger amount.

If the milk is thicker than advised, baby drinks less and takes less water which isn't good...

Offline jer-76

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Breast feed to bottle Need Advice Help!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 12:51:34 pm »
Oh, if only I knew!
I think once you have them on EASY they eventually know when it is time to eat & can tolerate larger amounts as there is a regular interval. My LO only eats what she wants. When she is full she shoves the teat out of her mouth with her tongue! I think if they are full, then they are full. He will soon tell you if he is still hungry, does he drain his bottle a lot?
My LO gets wind, my dairy intake was the b/f culprit. Once we weaned her to a formula feed, we had to get different teats & different formulas before we got it right. There are soya based products out there if you need them. Does he vomit a lot? Maybe he is having a growth spurt? If so it is a transitional period. Maybe the moderator will give you some tips.

Offline andrea21

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 14:32:58 pm »
He doesn't drain the bottle most of the time.Alot of the time still 60mls left in.Then about an hour later starts to get grumpy.
He drinks from the bottle fairly well,but does have alot of milk around his mouth when drinkning.
He got wind really bad when first born,and was worried when went to bottle but he is really good now.
Hope fully something works out soon...
Thanks for your advice...

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 17:51:33 pm »
Quote from: andrea21
Hi!!!
I have just had another look and most of his feeds aren't fully 210mls.Some days they are some days they aren't.Really want to try and get feeds to 3.5-4 hours if I can.I think he might be getting a tooth thru which can make him grumpy too.
How can I get him to take all his bottle,especially been he is a big baby?
Since he has been born don't really have a routine,as he was all over the shop while been breast feed,but now his his bottled really want to try and get him more into a routine.Even with sleeps no routine at all.My daughter goes to school from 9-12,2.30-4.30 and if can want to try and work sleeps around those times,as really think he needs more sleep for his age.Some days has alot of sleep other days nothing.
Any ideas you can help me with would really be appreciated...
Andrea....

Andrea

It looks like he is taking on average about 150ml (5oz) at each feed, approx 30oz in a day - what weight is your LO? Or sometimes 100ml (just over 3oz).  Sounds like he is snacking or having a growth spurt and possibly was when you where breastfeeding

What size of teat are you using on the bottle? Is it possible the teat size is too small and he is getting bored? After 2 hours what signs does he display that make you think he is hungry? if you put a clean finger in his mouth does he suck on it? Have you tried giving him a 5 - 10min rest then trying the bottle again? What brand of formula are you using?

I think you should concentrate on the feeding every 3.5hrs at the moment, the naps may or may not sort them selves out. It is likely at the moment that he is not napping well, as you say he is constantly hungry.

need to dash.. bathtime
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 18:19:04 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
Re: 4month old crying most of the day..
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2006, 18:21:09 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=58081.msg414293#msg414293

Don't add more scoops, as Scott's Maw says it may be you need hungry baby formula, also see my reply above.  Have you checked with your doctor to see if he still has reflux?

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 18:39:27 pm »
His weight is between7.5-8kgs.
Am using the Avent brand teat in the 3 way of sizies.Tried him on the size 2 but couldn't get any milk out of it.
He just seems to cry most of the time,after a feed if he is awake and you put him down he just cries and cries until you pick him up,then stops crying.He has just started to suck his hand alot in between pieaces,which i think might be leading to a tooth coming thru.Am using a nestle brand for formula which is called nidina which is a spanish name.
If it is he is hungry,should i start feeding him more,or try and give him more to drink with his feeds.This afgternoon,he had about a 5-10min break in between and then finished the whole bottle.So for his weight how many feeds would you say during the day?Also how would i get him to sleep thru the night again???

Offline jer-76

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2006, 07:26:00 am »
 My LO often doesn,t take a full bottle. I don,t think many babies do until they are ready too. When she starts draining most of them within a 24 hour period, I add an extra fluid ounce & so on. I know it sounds terrible but I don,t actually know what she eats in a 24 hour period. In the UK our health visitors are happy if the baby is gaining weight & wetting & dirtying enough nappies. They are aware that weight gain can be affected by ill health, reflux, teething, jabs etc & take it all into consideration.

Is it my imagination or have you mentioned reflux earlier? It may be he still has a touch of baby heartburn. It might be a bit less severe now hes older, but still there? There is a colic &reflux board. Do any of the babies on there sound similar to yours?

Bearing in mind that at that weight he is the size of a 6month old baby, have you considered anything else? You could look at using formula for older babies to fill him up. My sister hated the idea. Her son could support his head & was watching her eat etc. She gently introduced some spoons of baby rice & he scoffed the lot & his milk too! Some people would argue that it is too early for them, but all babies are different & only you know the answer to that one.

In the UK it is suggested that your (formula only, does not count if on solids) baby should eat 60-70 mls of formula per 450g of body weight over 24 hours. It also says that every baby is different every day & not to follow it mathematicallly. Eg Last night my Lo slept from 11pm -0540 (that was her first time!), she only ate 3fl oz / 70mls. Later on she will eat loads. LOs only eat what they want to eat. I think it is something else that is making him cry.

How have you been getting on with your Eat, Activity, Sleep, You? I found it hard at first but it is a lot easier now. It is a useful pattern for them, it helped me 2know where I  am up too in my day. My LO is calmer because she knows what is going to happen next.
 Whilst I weaned her from breast to bottle she did get a bit anxious.  She also changed the way she would ask for food, that threw us for a while! My LO sucks her hand when hungry & same again to pacify. The only difference is her breathing! They can miss the closenesss of breast feeding. You,ve only been on bottles for ?a week? Is it the cuddles hes missing?
Ok, I confess I was thinking about this last night, trying to brain storm some ideas to try to help you solve his mystery problem! As Stacy just said, if you can sort out your day feeding, the sleep will sort out too.  Keep using the EASY it will help you know where you are upto. You must be tired out with it all.......it gets better!  :-*

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 07:31:15 am »
Lauren x

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 10:54:16 am »
When he was first born had alot of trouble with him,would cry for 7hours straight as couldn't get his wind up so would be in alot of pain.Was all different as my dd had no troubles,sleeping or feeding.
Since arriving in Spain,he started to go ok but would never sleep during the day,only way got to get him to sleep was to put him outside,which didn't really like as was cold,but did it as he needed sleep and i needed a rest.
So started to go good,then about 2 weeks ago,started to go down hill,feeding every 2 hours(one reason changed to a bottle) and crying all the time.Once you put him down he started the crying.
He is alot better on the formula,but still no routine for feeding,which i really want OT achieve??
I no when breast feeding some of his problems could of been coming from my emotions,as my husband is away lot of the time i.e home 4 days and nearly 4 weeks,but once he went onto the bottle shouldn't of affected him so much.
Am going to start the EASY 2morrow,had a rough night,so hopefully that might work out.
Been I want to try and have him have a sleep at 9am,when my daughter is at school would you reccommend waking him up at 6am for a feed,so he will have a sleep then?

I just want to say Thank you to everyone who has answered with some help ideas.My mum told me about the book,and finding this web site has been the best thing for me for a while.With no Family and no friends where we are I really feel like I have found people to talk and help me work out problems...
So Thank you to all of you!!!You have been a blessing to me!!!!

Andrea....

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 11:01:02 am »
Thanks Andrea  ;)

I have merged your 2 posts together becasue we where anwswering you twice all the time, now we can concentrate on helping you on 1 post.

How long can Harrison usually stay wake between naps during the day?

Lauren x

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2006, 11:11:33 am »
It all depends,on his mood.
Today he had a 1.5hr sleep and is ready to go down again,but other days can go 3 even up to 4 hours,before he has another sleep.Even with feeds in that time,doesn't go down.

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2006, 12:56:11 pm »
Did you do the quiz to find out what type of baby you have?  https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52283.0

It is really worthwhile identifying your Lo temprament, especially for things like naps. If Harrison is spirited this usually means you need to tell THEM when to go.

Let us know who you get on.
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2006, 13:35:59 pm »
Have downloaded the EASY form,so the form is what EASY is?
With a dreamfeed you can do this with a bottlefeed baby,even if they have had cluster feeds?
When breast feed had no dreamfeed at all but cluster feed at night time and sleeping the night completely,now on bottle still having cluster feed but not sleeping thru the night at all.
Any advice would be appreciated?

Has feed arond 7am 210mls (7oz)
                      9am 210mls
                      12noon 210mls but try to get until 12.30
                      3-4pm 210mls
                      6pm 210mls
                      8pm 210mls

He doesn't drain the bottle most of the time.Alot of the time still 60mls (2oz) left in.Then about an hour later starts to get grumpy.
He drinks from the bottle fairly well,but does have alot of milk around his mouth when drinkning.
He got wind really bad when first born,and was worried when went to bottle but he is really good now.

Andrea
How about trying 3.5hr feeding intervals of:
2200-2300 dreamfeed

The example for you above includes clusterfeeding and a dreamfeed - it could take up to a week for you to see any visible result, however keep at it. Here is also a link to more information about dream & clusterfeeding https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0

I have also attached a guide that you can see this more clearly. For his weight he should possibly be taking 1000ml+ (34+ oz) per day, that is not set in stone and only a guide it could be a lot more or less than this depending on many factors.

Keep trying the 5 -10min break to see if he will take any more milk, but don't leave it any longer than that length of time. If he makes out he is hungry in between this time, he most likely isn't and is just used to snacking. Feed again at the next 3.5hr interval, if 3.5hrs to too long for him over the move back to 3hr EASY, it is best to be consistant i.e. don't do 3 and 3.5 in one day, you are trying to get him on a routine.

The form you have downloaded will help to to track/log when Harrison;
Eats
Activity i,e, nappy or clothing change, bath, play, wind down for sleep..
S/Yleep

It will also let you see at a glance where your day has gone wrong and good points that you can use again - I still use notebook to log, because I am so forgetfull  ::)  Use it to keep a track of how many ml of milk Harrision takes at each feed so you can total it up, this will also help you identify when he is going through a growth spurt. He will be extra hungry so his total will go up a few days and then go back down again.

Finally, try for a wake up 0630/0700 to start with it is more beneficial to go for a 12 hour routine i.e 7am -7pm, but that doesn't work for me, it may or may not work for you  ???  The great thing about the baby whisperer routine is that is is flexible and you can tweak it to suit you and Harrison. 

It can't be easy living somewhere with no support, have you been relocated there for a reason? Was Harrison born in Spain or elsewhere?

If you have any more questions just ask and if you want to post your new EASY routine in a few days we would be happy to take a look at it - good luck with your new EASY routine tomorrow. Just stick to getting the E times every 3.5hrs first, don't worry about the other parts, once you have his eating in a routine you will see a natural improvement in the others, then it will be easier to work on them as well.

Just give us a shout anytime, usually one of us will be around to help you  :)

Lauren x

Here are some sample 3-6month routines; https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10385.0

http://www.curezone.com/conversions.asp
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 13:38:13 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2006, 10:18:22 am »
UPDATE ;D ;D ;D

I just wanted to give an update,One week ago my son had no routine with sleeping and feeding.
Now have got him feeding every 4hours and sleeping more regularly.I know no when he does cry it is
cause he is tired not hungry.
He isn't having a full 210mils at every feed,but he still goes 4 hours which i am very excited about.
His isn't having much sleep in the morning but will work on that.
My DH is home tonight and we are off to Italy 2morrow for 7days,so will enjoy the trip alot more now my ds has a routine...

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 11:44:51 am »
That brilliant Andrea, enjoy your trip to Italy.  ;)
Lauren x