Author Topic: New to EASY, someone please help!!!  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Tida

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: April 16, 2006, 13:42:44 pm »
My son is 5 months old,  but was 9 weeks premature making him 3 months old gestationally.  I have Tracy's first and third books and read pertinent parts of both at least 4 times before starting the routine.  Up to that time Jonathan had slept on his own only a few times.  I held him almost 24/7.  I never would have thought I would do that, but he had many problems that got us to that point.  The first day of EASY was no better or worse.  The night time was the best- he'd been sleeping very well at night on me.  He let out a few mantra cries and got up once to eat.  The second day was a dream.  A few times I didn't have to do PU/PD at all.  He fell right asleep.  It has been getting progressively worse since and I'm about ready to give up.  I feel like I'm terrorizing him.  He cries as soon as I sit in the chair for the transition time before putting him down and I'm doing PU/PD the whole way through most of his naps.  I feel that I do well staying calm and upbeat in the midst of it, but I'm staring to have meltdowns at night once he's asleep.   I don't know how to know if I should be doing the 4 hour routine- how to know if this is just part of it and we'll soon come out on the other side.  Or is he like  the one baby in the third book who only needed 45 min. naps and I should be letting him go????  I'm so confused and upset.  Can anyone help me???

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Someone please help!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 13:49:16 pm »
Hi Tida

Welcome to TBW boards, sorry you feel upset about the way things are going. PU/PD is generally for 4months and above, there is a modified version for 3 to 4 months babys, however I haven't any real experience with it. However the ladies on the naps & PU/PD boards will be able to offer you loads of excellent advice.

I am going to move this post over to them, so they can help you out.

Hope this is OK.
Lauren 
Lauren x

Offline Tida

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 15:04:35 pm »
    Thank you both so much for your help! I can't tell you how much it means to have some help from people who know what this is all about and have been there before!  This is day 10 of the routine for us.  I took the plan for starting EASY at 3-4 mo.  She says that even though she typically says not to watch the clock, it is important for getting started, so that's what I've been doing.  I'm not sure how to know when to stop doing that.  I don't want to go by his cues before he is well established in the routine and end up allowing him to form more bad habits, but I don't want to do things in a way that doesn't work for him.  Stacy, thank you so much for saying that your day doesn't always look like EASEAS...  That's helpful information.
     As far as the PU/PD thing goes- it's really tough because they told me that developmentally Jonathan will fall somewhere between his true age and gestational age, so I wasn't sure what to do.  Like I said, I decided to just start out at the 3 month mark.  I've been kind of modifying it- leaning over him and only lifting him off the mattress a very short distance.  He really does seem to get so worked up with it, though.  Once he gets worked up, it seems like it's just all over.  There's just no soothing him.  For the transition time I've been sitting in a rocking chair in his nursery and rocking very gently with some soft music on for a few minutes, then being still for a few minutes before I put him down.  Last night I ended up nursing him in there with the lights down and then just stood with him for a few minutes.  He seemed so calm and he's been getting upset as soon as I sit in the rocker and turn on the music, so I decided to put him down without doing that.  I leaned over him and stayed very close.  He held onto my hands and just stared.  A few times he fussed a little bit and I would talk to him a little- but I didn't have to pick him up.  That went on for around 45 minutes and then he fell asleep.  This morning we kind of did the same thing.  It wasn't time for him to eat, but I just stood in the middle of the nursery with him for a few minutes, then put him down and leaned in close.  Again, he held onto my fingers for a minute or two, and after about 10 minutes fell asleep.  Does that seem okay?  I don't want to become a prop, but I want to help him feel safe in his bed.
     Also, do you have any insight about when it's acceptable to have things in the bed with them?  Jonathan won't take a pacifier, but he loves to suck on any cloth that he can get to his mouth.  I think it would really help if he could have something small to suck on- especially if I could keep it close to me beforehand so it smells like me.  But then, maybe that's a prop.
     Can you tell me a little bit about how EASY works for you?  Does your son nap at roughly the same times every day or is every day different?  Does he always nap at least an hour and a half? 
     Sorry that I'm all over the place with this.   In the middle of typing, the phone rang and woke him from his nap.  His cry got progressively louder- not a mantra cry- so I went in and leaned in close.  He started to suck on his hands, but then got more upset and started arching his back and crying so hard.  I tried talking to him and patting.  A few times I picked him up as I was leaning over- not far off the mattress.  But we couldn't get him to pull out of it and it went that way till the next feeding time.  Once he gets upset it's just so hard to soothe him!  Thank you so much for your time and help!  It makes me feel less overwhelmed.  Twila

Offline Tida

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 16:18:00 pm »
Thank you so much for taking your time to reply!!!  This has helped me so much!  I thought I had to keep doing PU/PD until he would nap 1 1/2 every time and wake him up if he napped longer (which kills me!).  Jonathan generally sleeps for an hour or an hour and ten min. and doing PU/PD after that hasn't felt right.  I haven't gotten him back to sleep that way once and it seems so mean to do it for 15 min. and then get him up- like he must wonder why I was doing that to him.  He is generally pleasant when we're not struggling over sleep and does GREAT at night.  Do I understand you right- that it's okay to let him have shorter or longer naps and that you think that letting him have a burp cloth or wash cloth in bed with him would be okay?  Thanks so much for the help and encouragement!!