Author Topic: How can a 4hour EASY change nightwakings? Why?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Jack aged 2 years/ Rya aged 1 month
How can a 4hour EASY change nightwakings? Why?
« on: April 16, 2006, 17:41:25 pm »
I was just reading the post in the EASY forum that said signs your baby needs a transition to 4 hour are:

not as hungry at 3 hours
freq night wakings
45 min naps
etc.

This is my 4 1/2 mons old to a tee! But my question is WHY? How can feeding him less make him wake less at night and take longer naps? I always thought  packing more calories in in the day would help . Obviously it has not helped up since we wake up 6 times a night so I will try anything!
What is the "science" behind it?
Thanks, Ella
Mom to "Textbook" Jack born Dec 3, 2005
and (?) Rya- Feb 13, 2008

Vancouver, Canada

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Re: How can a 4hour EASY change nightwakings? Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 18:42:02 pm »
Hi

There are 2 things here, firstly if your LO isn't having enough A time then he/she won't be tired enough to take a long nap so this is where the 45 minute naps can come into play - this can lead to night wakings if your LO is getting too much or too little daytime sleep.  With regards to the feeding, your LO will take on more calories if he/she is actually hungry for a full feed.  We started to experience this at around 3.5/4 months with Zander when instead of having a good breastfeed every 3 hours he would just play about and have a small feed (in other words he'd snack).  By stretching out his feeds he took in more breastmilk because he actually needed to be fed at that point.

I don't think I've explained that very well - I hope it makes sense!

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline katrinabull

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • De Locker Winkel
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 19:30:49 pm »
It works! My angel/textbook little boy, Sjoerd has slept through since 11 weeks, which is good for a breastfed baby. Then at 17 weeks he started to wake at night for a whole week. I was shattered and didn't know what to do - so I logged onto the site and saw the same thing: feed him LESS and move his routine. Anyway, we made the transition over 10 days to a 3.5/4 hour routine and the day I started, and he took one feed less, he slept through that night and has done so since. He is now 22 weeks. He actually pays attention at his feeds - before he was always looking around, grabbing things: he wasn't hungry enough.

It may sound strange, but it works: thanks SO much for this site and for keeping Tracey's legacy going!!

;D

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 20:40:27 pm »

Thanks ladies,
Kelly, I totally understand as that what DS was doing before a few days ago when I changed to 4 hours. I thought my milk supply was dwindling and he couldn't get any out because he was fussing around on the breast so much- even biting me sometimes. Now I realize that he wasn't hungry. However, now he's on the 4 hour and at least he eats for what seems his full feed. ANd the he stops and burps. I can tell this was a good choice for us.
I was just wondering how that worked and I think I get it now. He's eating less times in the day but probably swallowing more milk.

Thanks again, Ella

Vancouver, Canada

Offline Mekaeels_Mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 16:50:29 pm »
I have a question.. my LO is 13 weeks and 2 days.. is it too early to start the 4 hour routine.. he is approximately 15 pounds and is have increasing night wakings, working on extending his naps and he can definitely go longer than 3 hours ( i have been testing him out!). He has been on EASY from day one and was doing great except for a couple of weeks ago started waking up frequently at night time.

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 17:55:23 pm »
Hi there- I hope a moderator will jump in but i have to say in hindsight i wish i started my ds on the 4 hour easy at 14 weeks when he started all the nightwakings and 45 min naps. I just didn't know better b/c i hadn't read the BW yet. Now I've spent nearly 2 months trying to undo it. There is a post in teh EASY forum with all the signs of when to start the 4 hour EASY- I think it's a post near the top. good luck!

Vancouver, Canada

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 04:40:04 am »
you know your lo best and if you think you should try transitioning now then do so! if it isn't working you can always go back kwim? just be sure to go slowly adding time every few days, watching for cues, etc..good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005