Author Topic: OK, who's replaced my DD with a non-sleeping imposter???  (Read 845 times)

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
OK, who's replaced my DD with a non-sleeping imposter???
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:26:20 am »
You know, sometimes you have to laugh.  For the past week or so, my 9 mo DS and DD have basically been gradually switching their "usual" roles...where DS has always been a bad sleeper and an even worse eater, DD has always slept solidly and eaten really well, for the last week it's like they've decided it would be fun to switch bodies or something.  Anyway, last night DD was up ALL NIGHT...literally sleeping in 10 minute dozes, so I had to bring her into our bed.  It still continued there but at least I could pat her, sing, etc without getting up (I've thrown out my back over this past week too, yahoo).  And wouldn't you know it, my DS slept ALL NIGHT.  He has only done this once EVER.  So I really feel so mixed up...on one hand SO pleased with DS for finally sleeping, but SO frustrated with DD for this sudden change in her.  Anyway, sorry for the novel here, I'll get to the point and my questions.

What age does separation anxiety start, and when it's during nighttime sleep, what does it 'look' like?

She's not sick at the moment.  I don't think we can attribute it to teething because I've felt her gums and there's nothing there...(other than the two she's already got).  My gut tells me it's a developmental milestone because she drives herself crazy during the day trying to get her knees to crawl along with the rest of her..mostly she rocks back and forth, and goes backwards into corners and gets stuck and REALLY mad.  :)  So my second question...

What does developmental milestone waking 'look' like?  Would I find her actually on her knees in this case?

Here's a description of what she's doing, and what I'm doing in response.  First, she was always a very independent sleeper....lay her down, she slams her head to one side and she's out.  Now if you try laying her down she turns to her side like before but now finds it...unsatisfactory...lol.  She starts to thrash around and make a frustrated cry...finally she lifts her head like she's just done with the whole thing and wants out.  So we do PU/PD which infuriates her and of course disrupts her brother in the next crib.  It HAS worked with her in the past and kind of works now except that even if we get her to sleep, she's awake in 10 minutes (yes we stay with her through the transition...there IS none these days??just light dozing and then waking over and over).  So I've tried doing our winddown over again (ocean waves CD, quiet singing in the rocker) and this gets her relaxed but the second you even make one muscle move to put her in the crib, she's screaming like you're trying to kill her.  It's funny, she even sits there dozing off in your arms but with one eye open, watching you because she's onto you...!

Our EASY routine has not changed at all.  Nothing new around the house or disruptions.  I give her LOTS of time to practice her skills during the day (with twins what choice do you have but to leave them to their own devices a lot?).  She's never been particularly cuddly...seems to resent being held too much, etc.

Anyway I didn't mean to write a novel...sorry!  Just please, if anyone can tell me a bit more about separation anxiety 'symptoms' and milestone waking 'symptoms' it would be appreciated.  And also how long they typically last?

Thanks so, so much!
Sarah
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: OK, who's replaced my DD with a non-sleeping imposter???
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 16:57:01 pm »
bump!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005