Author Topic: Ready or Not?  (Read 961 times)

Offline Lilasmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: April 17, 2006, 14:35:49 pm »
Hi, DD is 5 months old and has been showing signs of being ready for solids for about a month.  She's mesmerized by us eating, makes chewing motions, can sit up mostly unassisted.  She has also doubled her birth weight (weighs around 18-19lbs) and it has been increasingly hard to get her to go the full 4 hours between feeds (she is exclusively BF).  She started sleeping through the night at 7 weeks.  That only lasted until she was about 13 weeks, since then she wakes up 1-2times a night to feed.  We tried DD with rice cereal mixed with breastmilk for 4 days in a row.  She would spit it out, push my hand away, turn her head, make sour faces.  I don't know if she's just not ready or just doesn't like the taste???  What do you guys think??  TIA

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Re: Ready or Not?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 17:10:36 pm »
Lila's Mom,

I starte my dd on rice ceral at 5 months as well (at the recommendation of my pedi).  I tried the cereal mixed with breast milk and then I mixed it w/ water. My dd didn't like it at all w/ bm, but she loved it mixed with water! It may take a week or two of trying it once or twice a day for your dd to get a taste for it. You can also try different consistancies to see what she likes. It isn't sweet like breast milk so it isn't suprising for a lo to push it away at first. There is a chahce, though, that she isn't ready. However, the other signs that you said she is doing sounds like she is ready.

Good luck!

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Ready or Not?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 00:53:08 am »
Could you try a little fruit or vege with the rice cereal to see if she would like this better. I know alot of babies don't like rice cereal on its own.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07