Author Topic: should I try an earlier nap?  (Read 898 times)

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« on: April 17, 2006, 20:28:16 pm »
Since the time change Margot (20 months) has had a bit of a wonky schedule-- napping from 1-3:15 (she is usually woken by the nanny in order to pick up my older dd from school) but then sleeping from 8:45 to 6:30.  Prior to the time change she was sleeping from 7:30-5:30 with a nap between 12:30 and 2.  So her bedtime has basically shifted an hour forward (yeah!) but her nap has only shifted 1/2 hour forward and she usually naps for longer(yeah!).  I've been worrried about shifting her nap earlier in case we go back to the 7:30-5:30 routine which was so hard because I work and it was so difficult to try to get home and get her down for 7:30, not to mention the dreaded early wakeup.  Also she had been getting more total sleep with this schedule. 

This last week she has been waking in the night after sleeping really well with her new schedule for nearly 2 weeks so I'm not sure that the waking is schedule related or not.  I should say that this schedule is one she has "chosen", I start her wind down at 6:45, so she's usually in bed around 7:15 or 7:30  On the rare occasions she falls asleep earlier at night she usually wakes up!  She's pretty set on her 5.5 hours between nap and bedtime.  Just wondering if I should try to shorten the time between wake up and nap.  I don't want her napping too long during the day though--she's always had a short sleep requirement so I'm worried if she naps for 3 hours she'll only sleep 9 hours at night!