Author Topic: Moving to non-dairy milks  (Read 902 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Moving to non-dairy milks
« on: April 17, 2006, 22:51:08 pm »
I want to try and keep Caeden on little dairy, some as I don't want him developing a intolerance for it, but I would prefer to give it to him in some cheese and yogurts rather then milk. I have already started him on rice milk and I am going to try oat milk and soy milk as well. My question is - is there anyone else dong this and is there any concerns on him getting enough "milk" as he starts to do more of it versus the breast milk? I am planning to continue breastmilk as well as long as it is there and he wants it (I am preg) but I want to be ready and prepared to transition him if needed.
I guess I wanted to hear if there are others doing this and any hints they may have.
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Moving to non-dairy milks
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 00:56:00 am »
Rice and sot milks are both available in fortified forms, which means they have calcium and Vitamin D added.

Offline Mel55

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 02:14:36 am »
I know the health nurse here advised that babies should be on Homo milk (or milk with a high percentage of fat as it's the fat they need in their diet (as well as calcium and vitamin D) for brain development up until age 2.

I would suggest talking to your pediatrician about it or a nutritionist just to make sure he's getting enough fat in his diet.  I always thought the milk was just for the calcium.

DD 13 Jul 04
DS 24 Oct 05
DS 14 Mar 08

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 02:51:28 am »
my son went right from bf to soy milk with no issues..my daughter went right to soy but had tolerance issues with the carrageenan in it, so rice milk for them both.  we get the fortified brand....and they are growing and developing fine.  enjoy!
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12