Author Topic: Advice on routine please :o)  (Read 979 times)

Offline Mamastalawatt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Me and my beautiful boy!
Advice on routine please :o)
« on: April 18, 2006, 10:47:48 am »
My DS is 14 weeks old and has been on EASY for 4 - 5 weeks now.  He is exclusively breastfed apart from one occasonal bottle of formula at bedtime (I usually aim to give EBM). We've had a few disruptions in that time, with trips away etc, but generally he is settled into the following routine:-

7.30am    Wake & feed
 8.00am    Activity (quiet play and time with daddy)
 9.00am    Nap (1 - 1 1/2 hours)
10.30am   Feed
11.00am   Activity (mums & babies group, coffee mornings, etc)
12.00pm   Nap (1 - 1 1/2 hours)
 1.30pm    Feed
 2.00pm    Activity (gym mat, playing with mummy, etc)
 3.00pm    Nap (45 mins - 1 hour)
 5.30pm    Feed
 6.00pm    Activity (time with daddy)
 6.30pm    Bath, massage
 7.15pm    Feed (bottle)
 7.30pm    Bed

10.30pm   Dream feed

My question main question is how long this routine will be appropriate for him and what changes I will have to make as he grows?  We are going on holiday for two weeks when he'll be 5 months old, and I return to work when he'll be 8 months old and he'll be going to nursery 3 days a week  :'(

Also,  how long does it take for babies to learn to go through into their second 45 minutes of nap time once you have succeeded in getting them to do it with your help?  After two weeks, I can now get DS into his second part with about 10 minutes of placing my hand on his chest (no pat/shush) but wondered when I'm likely to be able to leave him to go through on his own.

Thanks!

Mama
xxxxx

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Advice on routine please :o)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 11:23:27 am »
My question main question is how long this routine will be appropriate for him and what changes I will have to make as he grows? We are going on holiday for two weeks when he'll be 5 months old, and I return to work when he'll be 8 months old and he'll be going to nursery 3 days a week

Hi
You routine looks fab at the moment;
I think the next thing for you will be to transition him completely to 4hr EASY, you may have to go to 3.5hr first however there is a guide available to help you with this (let me know if you want me to post it) We did this at 14 /15 weeks on DS's  cue, some babies are early and some are later.  Going to 4 hrs would mean dropping to 4 feeds during the day, we currently do 0730/12/4;30pm/7.30pm.

Over the coming  months your LO's A time will gradually start to increase and this will also mean he will want  to drop his catnap (3rd nap), around this time I also had to bring his bedtime forward 30mins. To be honest if you watch your LO's cues you will be able to easily see when he is starting to extend his A time, so much that you can't put in the catnap or he refuses it.  And of course you will need to start solids, again that changes your routine because you need to fit these into your routine.

Also, how long does it take for babies to learn to go through into their second 45 minutes of nap time once you have succeeded in getting them to do it with your help? After two weeks, I can now get DS into his second part with about 10 minutes of placing my hand on his chest (no pat/shush) but wondered when I'm likely to be able to leave him to go through on his own.

I am not 100% sure of this, however if your post this question on the NAPS board the ladies there will offer you excellent advise.

HTH's

Lauren x