Author Topic: Love my bump on a log, but...  (Read 1689 times)

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
Love my bump on a log, but...
« on: April 18, 2006, 19:00:40 pm »
So maybe this is more venting of a concern, but it seems that DS is perfectly content to just lie still and look at the world around him. I'm getting a little concerned that maybe I'm not doing enough to help him become mobile?

We're ok so far with the trying to stand part -- DS loves to bounce in his Jumperoo, and on our legs. He's building up good leg muscles.

Supported sitting is going well too; he sits between my legs and I gently guide him back to neutral if he topples too far one way (though letting him try first).

It's the lying down, rolling over and starting to crawl bits that I'm worried about. If I park DS on his back, he will literally lie there, happy as a clam. If we're playing with toys, he may roll to his side to reach for something, but that's about it. With tummy time, he'll just rest his head on the ground and blow bubbles. EVENTUALLY he'll get fed up and start rocking back and forth, trying to build up the momentum to roll over. With a little help from me he can do it, but then just carries on lying on his back!

I've put myself out of sight and just watched him before, and he'll lie there quite happily, staring at various things in the room, showing no inclination to move towards things in his immediate vicinity.

Even if he topples forward while sitting up, he'll lie there, quite content, with his cheek smooshed into the mat, before EVENTUALLY pushing his legs out behind him and trying to kick onto his back again.

I'm probably worrying too much, no? I know that when he eventually does become mobile, I'll miss the days when I could park him somewhere safe and run into the kitchen for a cuppa.

But it just seems that by this age, he should be a little more interested in moving?

Thanks!

Katy

Offline luckyb52

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Think Babies
Re: Love my bump on a log, but...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 02:57:35 am »
Katriona, I wouldn't think there's need for concern. Here are links to the American Academy of Pediatrics' description of what the average baby of Theron Michael's age should be doing...

http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZGRZVEH4C.htm?&sub_cat=105

http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZWHHTEH4C.htm?&sub_cat=105

Cheers

LuckyB52

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 19:13:39 pm »
Katy,

DS has just turned 9 months and he has only become mobile now - He has had a lot to put up with though - having a cast on his leg for Talipes, but I too was worried and it just seemed to happen over night

First he started rolling, the next day he sat up and the day after that he started crawling (even with his big cast on - the one you can see in his pic).

Now he is into everything and will not sit still for a minute - I never have a moments peace  ::)
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 12:21:58 pm »
Hi I am in the same boat!
My lo happily sits up without any support and will stand with me holding his hands but he hates tummy time 90% of the time and does not roll at all!!  He will lie on his back and lift his bottom half off the ground repeatedly which is very funny to watch its like he is doing the yoga pose bridge over and over! ;D

My health visitor said I shouldn't worry and that judging his hand movements he seems very keen to communicate and may be an early talker.  They are all so different but its so hard not to compare!

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 15:24:57 pm »
Thanks for all your responses  :) Well, I just sat in on DS nap to try wake to sleep in about half an hour. OMG. You wouldn't believe the amount of movement in that crib. He's moving back and forth, rolling side to side, grabbing his feet and turning over. The little tinker! It was so funny to watch him.  ;D