Author Topic: My strange kiddo...  (Read 1755 times)

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
My strange kiddo...
« on: April 18, 2006, 22:26:22 pm »
I always thought my 16 mos old DS was a good sleeper.  He seemed to sleep about 11.5  hrs at night, and we finally got to about 2 hrs during the day (or so I thought).  But he still seemed to be EXHAUSTED by about 9 am, and again by about 5 pm.  I could not understand why his transition to one nap was so rocky (took about three months).

Well, then I got a video monitor.  I have discovered that Nathan wakes about 5 - 6 am, and just sits there!  Not talking, no crying, just sits up, holding his blanket and facing the door, waiting!  I don't get him from his crib until 7, so he sometimes waits an hour or two.  Again, for his nap, he is only sleeping a bit over an hour before he wakes and waits.

So I figure that he is only sleeping about 11 hours total.  No wonder he is so tired.  I would try wake-to-sleep, but he is SUCH a light sleeper that even moving the door handle to his room wakes him completely.  I would like to get a white noise machine, but to be honest, I have no clue what it is.  Is it an actual machine, or a CD?  Also, anyone know of a wake-to-sleep machine?  I just need a robot device to tap his back so that I don't have to enter the room and chance waking him up.  LOL   ;) 

Thanks for letting me vent.  I know that I am so lucky that he doesn't wake crying, but things are not working the way they are...   :-\
Sheila
ng

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: My strange kiddo...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 23:21:36 pm »
Oh bless him, that's one of the cutest things I've ever heard! Not great for sleep planning, but awwwww :)

We never had a white noise machine - we used a radio untuned (is that a word? - maybe de-tuned) off any stations.

I don't know if he's too young for this, but I have heard that buying him his own alarm clock might work - although it's not early waking & calling for you that's the problem is it? :-\  :-\  :-\

Maybe b/c he's doing this, he may not be ready for 1 nap yet? Perhaps he needs a catnap near the end of the day?
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston