Author Topic: 8 1/2 month old...refusing lumpy foods,limited food he will eat..HELP Pls  (Read 1263 times)

Offline kirsty_167

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
Hi
Can someone please help me? My son is 8 1/2 months old and started solids at 4months (on drs advice for reflux) He took to solids well and we have had no problems really except learning what foods to avoid that aggrevate his reflux (ie fruits).

The problem we have is jakob has only ever accepted 3 types of food. Pureed pumpkin/kumara and vanilla custard and pear rice cereal.Everything else is outright refused to screaming point!!! At his age we have tried to progress to lumpier foods....with limited success.Sometimes he will sometimes he wont! He will not eat any meat pureed or not!

We are trying to introduce finger foods slowly.He has been given bread,apricots,bananas,cheese,crackers and plain biscuits.He sucks them for a few seconds and then thorws them away in disgust.The only one he does gnaw on for ages is the biscuit!!!

My concern is he isnt progressing to eating a variety of foods to provide him with the extra iron he needs at this age onwards.His formula gives him some but it is pushed here in New Zealand to have them eating meat etc for the extra iron needed for development.

I dont push foods on him.I simply put it in front of him and let him decide what he does. Lunch and breakfast is still pureed,dinner is lumpier veges (which this week he will take...next week who knows!!) I take time to let him get used to one food before trying new ones.Will he get the idea of food soon? HAve i done something wrong to make him this way?

Everywhere i go babies his age are eating like champions.Eating everything they are given. I do think jakobs reflux has played a big part in his fussiness but how to i help him overcome this? Some days foodtime is just a nightmare and sooooo hard!

What can i do? I really want him to eat different foods with different textures. His gag reflux is better but he will still gag if he eats something he finds to lumpy.He gag until he is sick! He hates the feeling of food bits.Does this improve? Is this normal????

If anyone can help me i woull appreciate any advice ,reassurance (again) or tips.Anyone else have these problems?Is my son going to ever accept anythin other than pumpkin? (his skin is discolured orange due to the amount of pumpkin he has eaten...i kidd you not!!!)

Thanks Kirsty

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
What food have you tired him on? Have you tried mixing the foods he likes with the ones he doesn't?
As for the lumpy food my DD didn't take to it at first the only thing i can suggest is to persist with it. Start slow with slightly lumpy food and as the weeks go on make it lumpy and lumpy. That is what i did and now DD is eating lumps like a champ, she does still gag sometimes which is quiet normal.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Kirsty when Calum hit 6months (3 weeks ago) I started to add blended rice and pasta into his blended food - the consistency was a bit lumpier, he gagged a couple of times at first but we persevered and now I still blend the rice or pasta (they don't puree and are still lumpy) and mash his veggies and mix them together. I have now introduced whole or mashed peas and sweetcorn into his food (nice nappies  :-X), he loves cooked carrots & turnip/swede cut into strips and will chomp away on them happily. I have recipes I have posted before, not sure if you have seen them ???

Yesterday we experimented with sandwiches (crusts off) with philadelphia and jam fillings - he loved them as well there was nothing left on his tray - he didn't gag once.

I feel we have come a LONG way in 3 weeks - from pureed food to sandwiches and veggies  ;D ;D

Lauren xx
Lauren x

Offline kirsty_167

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
Hi and thank you for replying.

I wish Jakob would eat better.I do persevere and keep giving him the foods each day but so far little improvement at all.I am struggling for ideas on what to give him.I mean i have tried lots.I have read baby recipes and been researching but nothing i give him he takes.I find i waste my time cooking as he ends up back to having the vegies i have premade frozen in the freezer!
Finger foods for lunch etc are even harder.I may try that philladelphia cheese spread and see if he likes that on bread.Otherwise im lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a manual on feeding fussy babies!! I guess in time he will take more...........fingers crossed!!!!!

Kirsty