Author Topic: WEANING thread...Come and share your experiences and offer support.  (Read 60330 times)

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: WEANING thread...Come and share your experiences and offer support.
« Reply #225 on: March 29, 2007, 16:27:30 pm »
YEAH Prestons Mom.  :)
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline writelydivided

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Jack, Maggie, Sam
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2007, 03:11:26 am »
Is my (almost) 10 months old self-weaning?

I have been giving 2 BF's a day for almost the last four months (AM and PM), with 2 daytime FFs. Jack seems to be refusing the morning BF for the last few days. I think he still needs the milk, because he'll take a bottle; the pattern seems to be much the same as with the daytime BF's that I switched to FFs at 5 and 6 months. He's just so distracted and interested in everything around him that he'll latch on for ten seconds, whip his head around, latch on for 30 seconds, whip off, look around, and on an on. Okay with a bottle (since that moves with him!), not with my breast. Exhausting.

Shall I hold on hope that it's a short phase, that I'll keep up production, and that he'll still need the AM BF for a few more months? I so wanted to make it to twelve months with the last two BFs. I'm pretty stubborn, but I'm also pretty stressed right now. I think we'll be okay on the before bed BF for some time still.

Oh: pumping is a no-go. I've only got a manual, and it takes way too long. . . .

Too bad logic doesn't work with 10 month olds (don't you know how good this is for you?).  :'(
Rachel

Proud mom of Joshua Alexander, born 06-09-06
Samuel James, born 05-12-08
Maggie Jean, 08-15-09

Offline mezzacca41

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2007, 12:57:42 pm »
Hi!  My dd is 11 months today and I would like to slowly wean her so she will be done about 14 months.  I weaned my ds by 14 mo. also and it seemed so much easier.  I cannot remember how I did it.  I do know that on his first birthday he was only nursing am and pm.  I do not know how I got to that point!  Taylor has a rough schedule that is spaced pretty much the same but goes according to her waking up to eat in early am.  This was yesterdays schedule.

4:30-bf and back to sleep

9-bf

10- solids

1245- BF

2- SOLIDS

5-bf

6-solids

7:30 nurse and bed by 8

Which one do I drop first and what do I do?  give her a snack or solids at a different time to take up place of nursing.  She seems most into the early am feeding.  The 1ish one seems least important.  Which should i drop?  I can't believe I forgot.  I do and don't want to nurse.  But I am happy I went this long.  I was so sad the last time I nursed my ds.  I remember crying the whole week before.  The pm was the last to go!  But I also cried the last time he slept in his crib and I was rocking with him in his glider, last day of 2 1/2 yr preschool, so I am emotional when it comes to these kind of things.  Any help would be appreciated!!!
Danielle

Offline ~Kiki

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2007, 22:02:10 pm »
If I am planning to bf until 1 year, is it better to slowly wean before or after the 1 year mark? I don't want to have to use formula, but have heard it is easier to wean before 1 year. I don't have anything against formula, just would like to avoid that step if possible.

~Kiki

Offline Jodi and her boys

• California Mom of a California Dude!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • My Blondey
« Reply #229 on: April 07, 2007, 21:44:04 pm »
Jitterbug's Mom:

I posted earlier, but here is what we did:
9 mos: At 4 bfs.  Dropped feed #2
11 mos, 1.5 weeks: Dropped feed #3
11 mos, 3 weeks: Dropped feed #4
12 mos, .5 weeks: Dropped feed #1 (morning bf, in bed, my favorite  )

At 11 months I started supplementing with Whole Milk in a sippy cup during meals.  It was a very easy transition, and Carter never had one drop of formula!

Good luck!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #230 on: April 10, 2007, 18:38:35 pm »
If I am planning to bf until 1 year, is it better to slowly wean before or after the 1 year mark? I don't want to have to use formula, but have heard it is easier to wean before 1 year. I don't have anything against formula, just would like to avoid that step if possible.

There's actually nothing magical that happens at exactly one year - so whether you do it a bit before or a bit after, it won't make that much of a difference - it'll depend more on your baby's temperament!  Many areas recommend waiting until a year old to introduce cow's milk, so that's why prior to a year, most people give formula, but a few weeks here or there is not usually a big deal....  As long as you do it slowly, it should be fine either way!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Ryan&HollysMom

• Claudia-German married to Canadian
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • halloween 2012
« Reply #231 on: April 13, 2007, 19:30:20 pm »
hey everybody.
i was all psyched to be posting in the extended breastfeeding thread, but we only made it one day past my lo's first birthday.
it all started about 3 weeks ago now. we'd been down to two feeds a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. it was working beautifully, though i constantly had doubt that he was getting enough fluids (not anywhere near the 3-4 c of fluids i heard of, more like 3-4 oz total beside the BFs). the BFs then started to become shorter by the day. first the nighttime feed, it seemed as if ryan just wasn't interested, had better things to do. he used to really snuggle up to me, now it was more like "alright, i'll crane my neck to take a few sips, but then i'm outa here".  :'(
i thought, alright, fine, we'll just try to do the one in the morning. i got some advice on BW about using both breasts rather than alternating, but we only lasted a few mornings. it was getting more and more frustrating and i didn't want it to be like that.
i thought i'd give him a bottle one morning (he's never been a big fan of them) and we'll see how he reacts to not getting the breast. i wasn't even wearing a t-shirt, and he just ignored its proximity and took the whole 7 oz of milk that were in the bottle. then we snuggled some more and got up and he hasn't looked back yet (this was 2 days ago).
so, i guess we're done. he hasn't taken the breast in about 48 hours now, and i feel perfectly normal, no engorgement or anything. i guess that shows that i didn't have much to offer him anymore?
anyway, though i'm sad (and i did cry and needed sympathy from dh) that it's over and that lo took one more step towards becoming a toddler, i am happy that he weaned himself. there were no tears or upset on his side, and that makes me happy. it went smoothly and that's what counts.
and yes, i'm patting myself on the back for BFing for a full year!!!!!!!! we had a very rough start, but we ended up enjoying it a lot!!!!!!! ;D
Claudia-German married to Canadian

and our angel, 10 weeks, 11/19/08

« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2007, 11:59:17 am »
Yay!  Well done!!!
Erin

Offline writelydivided

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Jack, Maggie, Sam
« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2007, 03:50:44 am »
Claudia, my experience was much like yours, except my little guy is just ten months. I wanted to make it to at least a year, and further if possible. It's been almost two weeks now with no morning BF, and just two nights now with no BF. I shed my tears, but in a way it's joyful too. I'm happy it was his choice (no tears from him!), and though it's bittersweet, it's fun to see him growing up.

I think I must have had little left for him too, since I've had no engorgement either. I guess that's a "benefit" of the gradual decrease and final refusals.

Honestly, I find myself a bit shocked that just a few days later, I'm feeling a bit relieved, and much more energetic. Perhaps the BFing was taking more out of me than I realized. I'd do it all over again, though, given the chance, and all the struggles (we too had our rocky moments!). 

Hugs!
Rachel

Proud mom of Joshua Alexander, born 06-09-06
Samuel James, born 05-12-08
Maggie Jean, 08-15-09

Offline ~Kiki

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #234 on: April 17, 2007, 11:04:10 am »
So if I can make it to a year (or very close to), do I replace our breastfeedings with cows milk? Or do I just try to get her to drink it with meals?

~Kiki

« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2007, 15:46:46 pm »
Yes, you could replace it with cow's milk.  As for when you give it, that's a personal choice, really.  Many moms continue to give it in the morning with breakfast, as a midmorning, a midafternoon snack (after naps) and before bed.  As long as your child is getting enough milk (or the components of it - calcium, protein, etc.), then when isn't as important!  :)
Erin

Offline MommyCam

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • hipster baby
« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2007, 17:30:47 pm »
Hi ladies - I am impressed with how long you were all able to breastfeed! I have a medical condition and needed to start my meds after 3 months (would be one year off meds including the pregnancy). Plus I developed mastitis pretty bad...so I am weaning now.

I am very sad! DH doesn't understand at all, and frankly I don't either. This is for the best, but I am super emotional. I feel like I am losing part of my baby. I did have a few weeks of a wonderful breastfeeding experience. I'll just hang on to those memories!
~Colby, mom to dear son Cameron

Offline Ryan&HollysMom

• Claudia-German married to Canadian
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • halloween 2012
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2007, 16:03:17 pm »
MommyCam, don't be upset!
you gave you ds a wonderful start in life by BFing as long as you did. having to stop before you're emotionally ready is tough but being on the meds is obviously important to your health and overall well-being. which is important to your ds and dh too. dhs don't understand cause they've never done it. just like they don't understand just how emotional we get during pregnancy and after birth of the baby. they never will.
as for your feelings, i think all weaning moms can relate to that. i certainly feel like i've lost my baby to a toddler. somehow i feel like i'm less important too, it's like ANYONE can now take care of him.
i hope you feel better soon!!
hugs!!
Claudia-German married to Canadian

and our angel, 10 weeks, 11/19/08

Offline MommyCam

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • hipster baby
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2007, 16:18:54 pm »
Thanks Claudia
~Colby, mom to dear son Cameron

Offline mezzacca41

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2007, 16:56:55 pm »
I am getting ready to slowly wean my 11 1/2 mo. old.  She nurses 5 times a day and just started eating three solid meals a day.  I am not sure how to go about weaning her and which one to drop. I was thinking of the lunch time one and just giving lunch at that time.  This is her schedule:
5-bf and back to sleep until 8
9-bf
10-solids
11-12;30/1- NAP
1- BF
2- solids
3:30/4-5 nap
5ish-bf
6- solids
7:30- bf 8- bed
Any help would be appreciated!!!