Author Topic: 3.5 hr EASY but what next?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline emsandmegan

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
3.5 hr EASY but what next?
« on: April 19, 2006, 09:31:08 am »
Could anyone help me figure out how to move from 3.5hr EASY to 4 hr EASY? The problem is my lo is on solids (under consultants advice). She is 71/2 months old but her corrected age is about 5months. This is our routine at the mo. It is working really well and she has started sleeping through the night (yippee) but I just can't work out how to move her on from here.

7am E 4-5 oz
8.30am S
10.30 am E 4 oz + porridge/fruit
12.15pm S
2pm E 5-6 oz
3.45 S
5pm E veggies (no milk)
6.15 pm bath massage + E 5 oz
7pm bed
df 11pm 5oz

She finds it hard to stay awake longer than 1.5 hrs in morning and I have to wake her up after 2 hours with the first nap!! The last nap is sometimes a 45 min one. If that happens and she is tired I put her down for a cat nap of 30 mins at about 5.40 ish to get her through the bed time ritual.
Thanks for your help
Emma x

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: 3.5 hr EASY but what next?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 09:48:18 am »
hi do you have the guide to change from 3 to 4hr EASY? If, not give me a shout and I will post when I get home.

Found it so I have just posted..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 09:50:33 am by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 01:12:02 am »
Emma, with your routine I think what you'll basically want to do is move everything forward in 15 min increments.  I wouldn't want to mess with her mornings too much since she's getting that great sleep, but I was wondering if you could feed the breakfast somewhere between her morning bottle and first nap.  Then, you could have a bottle at 10:45, then moving toward 11.  Then, after her second nap, start moving that next bottle forward by 15 mins every few days until you reach a 3:00 bottle time. 
Of course, these are all just suggestions if you are trying to find ways to tweak her routine to a 4 hrly schedule.  However, if things are going smoothly, I'd really just suggest you let her be the guide. 
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline emsandmegan

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 16:12:27 pm »
I wil try your suggestion tomorrow Heather especially as the HV has said to increse her solids to 3 meals per day. I have one query. Do I try to put her down 15 mins later in the am. Or sleep from 8.30 to 10.30 as usual but feed 15 mins after waking? When we first started moving to a 4 hr EASY I used the plan in the new book (but thanks Callum's Mum anyway) but she finds it hard to stay awake especially first thing in the morning.

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 19:28:30 pm »
I wouldn't necessarily move her sleep times any just yet, only move her feed times.  She'll probably adjust her sleep times on her own in the next few months as she demonstrates she can stay awake for longer during each EAS cycle.  Still, many babies keep their shortest A time in the morning for quite a long while so don't worry about that.  Feeding at different times is certainly easier than finding the right time for naps, so if she's napping well, just carry on as usual there.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline emsandmegan

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 08:19:27 am »
That worked really well yesterday even though she woke up at 6.20am!!!So I will do this for a few more days and then do I extend a different feeding time or work on the same one? The only problem is the last 2 feeds because if they are too close together she won't drink much milk for her bed time bottle. This is where I am really stuck about what to do!!

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 15:15:08 pm »
Well, I think that as you're moving the 2:00 bottle closer to 3:00, you'll also want to start moving the 6:15 bottle closer to 7.  Now, if you want her in bed by 7, you can do a 6:45 bottle.  What is your routine like now?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline emsandmegan

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 06:48:30 am »
It the same as before but with the 2nd feed at 10.45 and all the others 15 mins later. I did have solids at about 8am, some lunch with the 2 pm bottle and more at 5.15pm until today. HoweverMegam wouldn't eat a tea time yesterday so I think she is just not ready for 3 meals a day. I am going back to breakfast with the 10.30am feed and just one other meal at 5.15pm ish. I will keep working on extending the feed times though. Her naps have been ace the last 2 days even the dodgy late pm nap.

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 15:10:58 pm »
Sounds great!  Keep us posted!  :)
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline emsandmegan

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 15:51:48 pm »
Just thought I would let you know all our milk feeds are 4 hourly with solids 2x a day. I will try 3x a d ay again in a week or so. She is still not staying awake for long but it seems to be working well so thanks for your help

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 21:18:35 pm »
Wow!  That all sounds wonderful.  Thanks for the update, and continue to keep us posted.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007