Author Topic: Fresh not frozen!  (Read 1018 times)

Offline jezni

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • My little hunk!
« on: April 19, 2006, 23:55:03 pm »
I am attempting to get my LO onto a bottle for the occasional break for me! Howver I had pumped and froze some BM for future use. So I take one bottle out and thaw it in the fridge. Warm it up in warm water... which takes forever... and attempt to feed it to him. Well he will have NOTHING to do with it... screams bloody murder! So then one day I try fresh from the boob milk and ding sing he drinks it up no problem from a bottle without any hesitation. Now I know it is the right temperature and fresh but come on! So any suggestions ladies? How can I get him to take frozen milk that is heated?
KIM

Offline Carter'sMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
Re: Fresh not frozen!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 01:20:30 am »
I have been told that frozen breast milk definitely tastes different from fresh.  I know for sure that it smells different!  I guess you could try mixing the 2 together for a few days to see if he can adjust to the taste.  Try 3/4 fresh to 1/4 frozen for a few bottles and then 1/2 and 1/2 and then 3/4 frozen and 1/4 fresh.  It might work  :-\

Hopefully you can convert him as it would be much easier on you!

HTH
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline jezni

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • My little hunk!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 12:09:29 pm »
That is a good idea! I was thinking that it must taste different because he is picky with it. I pumped some today and put it in the fridge to see if he will take it  reheated. Do you use the microwave to reheat yours? It takes so long with water that by the time it is warm he beside himself with hunger. Thanks for the tip! Good to talk to another person from Ontario. I am from Lindsay. Oh and how do you get that little age gauge on the bottom of you message?
KIM

Offline flowerdrago

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 12:34:37 pm »
Kim,

I found that it is much faster to defrost the milk if it is frozen flat in milk bags. They resemble thin sheets and defrost in less than a minute, even faster if you just run hot water over it rather than soak it in hot water.

I wish I had your problem, my lo won't drink anything from a bottle at all!
HTH
R

Offline jezni

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • My little hunk!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 18:56:47 pm »
Ah well perseverance I think will win your LO. He did not like it at first but seems to not mind now... well only the fresh stuff that is. Yes, it makes it hard when you are the only one who can feed them. I mean we cannot go out for a night because I would worry he would not eat from the bottle. So until I can get him comfortable with a bottle I am it. Thanks for the baggie tip!
kim

Offline evelyn

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 19:55:44 pm »
Just a wee post to let you know that the microwave actually alters the constituents of breastmilk, i think it harms the natural antibodies. :)
Proud mum to Alice 16/3/1999 and Lily 7/10/2005

Baby No. 3 due 20th May 2008.

Offline Carter'sMama

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 01:21:15 am »
I never microwaved breastmilk but I do now microwave his soy milk.  You aren't supposed to microwave breastmilk or shake it for that matter as that will also alter the proteins.  I used to boil a kettle and then put the milk in that to heat it up.  I was sick of waiting for tap water to do the trick.

To get the ticker on the bottom of my messages you go to http://www.lilypie.com and set it all up there.  My husband actually did it for me because he is much better with computers!

HTH
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 01:49:17 am »
Try this article from kellymom.com -- it's about using frozen breastmilk and how some women's breastmilk doesn't freeze well - perhaps you're having that problem?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html

Offline jezni

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • My little hunk!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 12:40:57 pm »
Wow! Alot of information I did not know regarding breastmilk. I did warm it up today in the microwave and he took it no problem. But now I will not after the information. And do not shake it? Well it seperates so how do you get it together if not by shaking it up? Or is it just mine that seperates? I took out some frozen milk today and I will mix it with some fresh and see if I can trick him...LOL... he is male trickery should work.... :P
Thanks to you all for the information!
KIM

Offline evelyn

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 19:22:03 pm »
You can swirl the milk, just like you would with certain medications.
Proud mum to Alice 16/3/1999 and Lily 7/10/2005

Baby No. 3 due 20th May 2008.