Author Topic: "typical" A time  (Read 18542 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
"typical" A time
« on: April 20, 2006, 00:34:52 am »
Hiya! Gage is almost 7.5 months, and I was wondering what "typical" A times are? I just dont want to get behind because is was H*LL getting to a 4hr EASY. Gage is primarily a textbbok baby. I know all babies are different, but if I  have a baseline it will be easier.
Thanks,
Alice

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: "typical" A time
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 00:44:43 am »
Alice,
I don't know what "typical" is, but my dd is awake between 2-2.5 hours in the morning and 2.5-3 hours in the afternoon.  She is then up 3.5-4 hours until bed.
HTH
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 02:19:34 am »
Thanks for response PaigeJalyn! That is about what Gage is doing. We are having trouble with early wakenings and needing a catnap. Has your dropped the catnap?

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 03:51:09 am »
hi stacy! Looking back at my log the early wakenings appear even when their is not cat nap. :-\  I dont know what is going on. Maybe part of problem is that after the cat nap his A time is only 1.5-2hrs. If I put him to bed early then he will wake even earlier. I think that he only needs about 11-11.5 hrs of night sleep. Or maybe I need to cut his naps short? He is only getting 3-3.5 hrs of day sleep.

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 06:07:19 am »
Hi Gage's Mum,

How is everything going with you?
Catherine has just over the last few weeks extended her awake time as her naps were starting to get shorter again  >:( So now she is doing 3.15-3.5hrs between naps and bedtime.
Before that so between 5-8months her awake time was 2.5hrs before AM nap, 3hrs before PM nap and 3hrs before bedtime. Her night sleep has gone from 12hrs to 11/11.5hrs  :( and she is now having 2 naps her morning one is now 2hrs again  :o and her PM is usually 1-1.5hrs if i am lucky.
Good luck

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 11:44:03 am »
Gage's Mom,
We dropped the catnap some time ago... it was too much of a fight.  Jalyn's A time at the end of the day is up to 4 hours (she typically wakes at 3/3:30 from nap and is up until bed at 7)
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 19:36:48 pm »
Alice
Our A time is;
3hrs to 1st nap from waking
3 - 3.5hr between nap 1 & 2
sometimes 4.5hr+ to bedtime, refuses a catnap and will not sleep at bedtime if I do not wake him from his last nap before 4pm. ::)

Today we where 3 then 4 then 4 hours, his 1st nap was 1.5hrs and so was the 2nd  :D
Lauren x

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 01:53:17 am »
Thanks ladies! We took our first long trip (which I was totally nervous about) today and Gage slept in car for 45 min :o Each day we gain a little more freedom ;D Anyway my bub was up for about 5 hrs before bed, and he seemed fine in fact too fine. I really couldnt tell he was even tired! He has been asleep for almost and hour and all is well so far. Cross your fingers for us.

P.S. 5 hours is too long right? I wonder if it was because he was in the car for 2+ hours and not burning much energy. :-\ Oh well what ever works right.

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 08:52:35 am »
Stacy
Here was yesterday;

Wake 0615  >:(
E 0730 - not hungry straight away
A
S 0915 - 1030  1hr 15min
A
E 1200
A  - had to ext a little for clinic, wanted to get him weighed - hadn't done for ages
S 1420 - 1620 1 hr 50min
A
E 1630
A inc bath @ 1900
E 1920 ish    10oz
S Last night 1950 (mostly in cot awake for 1930 - 1945 sometimes sleeps straight off, sometimes 20mins and a little fussing)

Still wakes bright as a button at 5am probably 3 out of 7 mornings  >:( >:( >:(  and I need to get him back to sleep, any suggestions?? bearing in mind he refuses a catnap and will not sleep at bedtime if I do not wake him from his last nap before 4pm. Last week his nap ended at 1645 and he refused to sleep until 2030  ::) on those evenings I put him in his cot awake and leave him to settle to sleep with himself.
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 13:32:12 pm »
Stacy he always goes for a nap after 3hours in the morning, any earlier he wants to play - he is like a light at the 3hr mark, jumping about 1 minute then out for the count sleeping.

The othr monring I woke at 4am (for the loo) I thought I would be smart and try W2S, when I peeked in his door his leg where up in the air (still sleeping a think) so I gave it a miss.
Lauren x

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 13:35:34 pm »
When you suss out the early morning wakings Lauren make sure you pass on the secret!  Zander's getting up at 5.45/6 every day - little monkey  ::)  I've been thinking about wake to sleep but I'm doing it for his naps at the moment so might give it a miss for a while.  For his pm nap I did wake to sleep - he definitely stirred, in fact he opened his eyes and rolled over, and he still woke at the 40 minute mark and I had to get him back to sleep, grrrr!

Alice - Zander would go 3 hours before his first nap but I try to make the first A time of the day the shortest so he's been going down after 2.5 hours and usually has a good nap.  His A time until his second nap is 3.5 hours and his last A time is too long because he's up so early in the morning!  I'm planning to put him to bed at 6.30pm tonight to see where that takes us - he'll probably be up from his pm nap at around 3pm so that will be another 3.5 hours.  Tomorrow he'll have to have a short am nap as we have an appointment for a portrait sitting so it will be interesting to see how this affects his day - it's kind of forcing me to experiment a bit!

Kelly x

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 14:04:00 pm »
What does everyone reckon is a decent 'A' time from last nap to bedtime???
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 14:09:41 pm »
how old is Kaleb?
Lauren x

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 17:53:33 pm »
Well ladies, I had an interesting day yesterday. Gage usually wakes between 5:30-6:15 (It must be an age thing) and very rarely at 7:15. Anyway, like I said we had our first big trip yesterday so I have no choice but to put him to bed at 6:00 which I am so fearly of doing as Gage is already an early bird. I was shocked to find that Gage slept until 7:15  :o with a 2am feed (his eating wasnt great that day).

Here is yesterdays schedule:

6:15 wake
8:40 sleep

10:30 wake
12:30 sleep in car
1:18 wake

6:00 bed

2am feed
7:15 wake

I think his nap lengths made him more tired to sleep through until 7am. He only had 2hr 15 min with a VERY long A time before bed. Maybe our early risers only need around 2 hrs. Just a thought.

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 17:56:19 pm »
I put Zander to bed at 6.30 tonight and he was asleep by 6.45 so I'll see what that brings!!  Looks from this evening that a 3.75-4 hour final A time would suit us but I wanted to get an early night in and see what happens.  Lucky you getting a lie in!
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)