Author Topic: Night Wakings  (Read 974 times)

Offline firstmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 20, 2006, 03:09:27 am »
Hi
My baby is 10 months old and is not sleeping through the nights.  She is waking up almost every 2 hours.  She wakes up int he morning at around 5 and I nurse her and then she sleeps until 6:30.
She then eats breakfast and plays until about 9:00 and she goes down for a nap. I nurse her before each nap and she falls asleep while I am doing it.  Then she eats a snack, plays, eats lunch and takes a second nap at around 2. I nurse her again.  She eats dinner at 6, takes a bath, reads and then I nurse her at 7.  She constantly wakes up in the middle of the night.  She has never slept a whole night through, and during the day she only sleeps for about an hour and 20 minutes max each nap. The last time I tried pu/pd she cried so hard that I picked her up and nursed her- I caved in. Any suggestions....

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Night Wakings
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 04:23:33 am »
could you pls post your routine? have you always fed lo right before naps rather than when she wakes up as not falling asleep independantly could be a main cause of the wakings as she expects you there still. also, 1hr and 20 isn't a bad nap for a lo this age, my dd usually sleeps a total of 2hrs naps / day. what does your bedtime routine look like?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline firstmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 05:31:59 am »
5:00 she wakes up, and I nurse her, she sleeps until about 6:30
6;30-7:30 play
7:30 breakfast
7:30-9:00ish play
9:00 nurse her and nap ( she sleeps for about 1 hour, 1hr 20 max and rare)
10:30 - 12:00 snack and play
12:00 lunch
12:30-2:00 play
2:00 nurse- nap
3:00-6:00 play
6:00 dinner
6:30 bath
7:00 read, nurse and then she falls asleep
I have always fed her before naps, since birth. I only nurse her , she has never taken a bottle.
I know its bad that she always falls asleep when i nurse her, but i don't know how to change that. Also she is on the small side. She is in the less than 5% category for weight. She is 10 months and only weighs 15lbs 10 oz. My doctor told me that it would be ok to let her cry through the night but I just dont think i can let her do that...

Offline firstmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 12:36:10 pm »
I did pu/pd last night. she cried from 10-11:45 hard and finally I caved in, picked her up and nursed her. Then she slept from 12-5:30.  She was crying so hard I knew there was no way she would ever be able to get herself abck to sleep. What should I do tonight....

Offline teezee

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 16:05:03 pm »
ok well bw does not advocate cry it out in any way at all. that only breaks the bonds of trust between a lo and the parent so good for you for not going forward with that suggestion! i understand your lo is small - but is she gaining weight and thriving at this point?

if you start something - you have to be consistant with it. i know it is hard not to 'cave' after so long but not sticking with it will just show your lo is she screams enough she will 'get what she wants' kwim? you can't builld rome overnight and you have a few issues to work on first, before pu/pd i think. i would slowly start feeding a bit earlier before bedtime and at least if lo falls asleep be sure to wake her and go through the bedtime routine. walk around with her, talk to her, change diaper if you have to - just make sure she is alert so she knows what is going on. go through the bedtime routine, and turn the lights off and stay in the room with your hand on lo. you may  have to do this for even up to a week...at all costs try and settle in the crib. stay until lo is  completely asleep - this is the first step in teaching lo to fall asleep independantly. when you feel comfortable or 'like you can' you can slowly start leaving the room sooner and sooner.

as far as naps go i think you could go about it a few different ways to disassociate naps/falling asleep and eating. you could do the same thing as with bedtime or you could give her some water before lo goes down for the nap to keep her belly full until she wakes so she doesn't wake early, and still stay in the room and 'teach' lo how to go to sleep independantly also. you may have to resort to pu/pd if just keeping a hand on lo, or shhing, or patting in the crib fails miserabely. you may want to check out the pu/pd board to get more info/advice about that - as i did pu/pd for bedtime with my lo and kind of did my own version of it and isn't exactly 'by the book'... but you may have to alter it a bit to make it work for you too...just keep with the basics and try not to go too far off.

could she be overstimulated before bed at all? when my lo is overstimulated ( ::) ::) last night for example... :-\  ) she is up all night and i get a bright eyes dd in the early hours also.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline teezee

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 16:06:30 pm »
tracy does suggest that you don't go over two hrs of pu/pd with lo...although i did it for 2.5 without stopping for a break and it did work for us..as heartbreaking as it was at the time - i am so thankful that i saw it through as the results now are def worth the work put in.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005