Author Topic: Refusing Solids  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Joanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Refusing Solids
« on: April 20, 2006, 05:55:29 am »
Hi
My little girl is 6 months old. She is exclusively breast fed and I am just trying to start her on solids but she is just NOT interested! When i feed her she doesn't really open her mouth, she gags and looks like she is going to vomit. She does show other signs that she is ready - she really watches us eat, she does a chewing action when we are eating, she can sit supported.  I have tried Plain rice cereal, Pear and Banana rice cereal, Rice cereal with pureed Apple, yogurt, Apple and Oatmeal and I have tried all different consistencies! Help, do you have any ideas for me??

Frustrated Mum! ???  :)
Proud Mummy to
Ryley 1.4.03 and Emily 17.10.05

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Refusing Solids
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:12:33 am »
Welcome to TBW board Joanne

What consistency do you make your solids food? It sounds like they are too thick if she is gagging.
1st purees should still drip of the spoon.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline sazza

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 07:27:59 am »
hi joanne

i've just been having the same problem with my 5.5mo lo, and my mum suggested savoury rather than sweet. i didn't want to add anything to make a salty flavour, but i tried avocado (not exactly savoury, but not sweet either). i mixed it with about the same amount of warm water and really mushed it up so it was nearly runny, and just kept offering it each time. he didn't like it at first - kept doing the same thing, gagging face etc, but we kept just gently offering, and today he ate about 1.5 teaspoons of it. also i praised him lots when he took a mouthful - don't think he understands but he might catch the tone.

hth
- Sarah
Aotearoa NZ

Offline Joanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 10:30:41 am »
Hi
Thanks for your replies. I have tried making the solids up in all different consistency's, some like liquid and other times a bit more solid, she gags and looks like she is going to vomit on both. I will try the avocado tomorrow and let you know how I go. On a couple of occasions she has eaten the Pear and Banana Rice Cereal but again today she didn't want a bar of any thing! Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

Jo  :)
Proud Mummy to
Ryley 1.4.03 and Emily 17.10.05

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 10:32:50 am »
Jo

Just perserver with it, you may find in a few days your LO will take it OK.

Let us know how you get on.
Lauren x

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 10:49:40 am »
I have 2 friends who had dc, who refused solids until well into their 7month, if she isn't showing interest, she probably isn't ready... with one friend her ds was over 24lb & still wouldn't take solids, but when he did, he caught up very quickly & had mashed food within weeks of starting.

I'd just offer her it every day (about 1/2 hour after a bf) & don't make a drama out of it if she shuts her mouth, you can't force her, she will get there when she is ready, being bf, she is getting the nutrients she needs & she will be a very good judge of her humger & nutrient needs.

The only other suggestion is to try a bit on your finger & see if she sucks it off, then you will know if it is taste related or just no interest. If you have tried the plain rice with expressed breast milk then my guess is she just isn't interested yet as most babies who are interested will go for the taste of bm as they know it
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05