Author Topic: First Birthday Themes  (Read 2315 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
First Birthday Themes
« on: April 11, 2006, 03:40:20 am »
Rachel's first birthday is right around the corner, and I'm just curious who out there has picked themes for a 1st birthday, and who hasn't.  I have ordered some party stuff with butterflies and stuff on it, but it's not majorly "themed".  I have never before planned a party, not even one for myself so I'm kind of stumped.  Also, is it appropriate to open gifts while the birthday kid is napping?  Or do they absolutely have to be forced to stay up to do it?  I'm thinking of doing the party from 12pm-3pm, but nothing ever runs on time and she'll need a nap before the party is over. 

And last, anyone have any gift bag/party favor ideas?

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: First Birthday Themes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 16:43:46 pm »
Hi!

I am just in the process of organising William's first birthday party which we are combining with his Christening. We are having him Christened in church on Sunday July 16th (his birthday is the 18th) at 10am then are having a party immediately afterwards for 120 of our friends and family... yep thats right 120!!! We both have huge families and wanted everyone to attend this special occasion so it's going to be a huge thing.. then we won't be having much until Will is old enough to really appreciate it when he is older.

I've gone for a Noah's Ark theme to combine the religious with the fun.. Ive designed the invites which have noah's ark on the front and a rainbow on the inside and all of the decorations, balloons etc will be in rainbow colours - which means I can get away with buying cheap coloured napkins and balloons etc in various different colours lol... and rainbow things are quite easy to find.

I am having 2 cakes - one a noahs ark and the other a roly mo (which doesnt fit the theme but its wills favourite character!)

Our party will be from about 11am until about 4 or 5 pm but its being held close to home so I can pop William back for a nap for an hour or so during the day. Your idea of timing for yours sounds perfect - and if Rachel need a nap during that time noone will mind - shes only little still xxx Regarding the gifts- I am soppy - I think I would like to open William's gifts with him after the party so he can see things and we can go at our own pace. We can then write down what he has had and send thank yous to the right people for the right gift.

Butterflies as a theme sounds really pretty!

H xxx

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 16:49:39 pm »
I have to admit that I am not into big parties for little ones (might be because dd1 can be very overwhlemed very quickly).  I found this cake for dd1's 4th birthday... and cupcakes for her preschool class.  They are the butterfly theme.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=recipe&m=recipe/knet_recipe_display&u1=keyword&u2=beautiful%20butterfly&u3=**1*1&wf=9&recipe_id=56895

http://www.familyfun.go.com/recipes/family/feature/famf0700cupcake/famf0700cupcake9.html

http://mamarant.blogs.com/mamacooks/2005/06/cupcakes_revist.html

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 18:10:43 pm »
Oh how absolutely wonderful!  Thank you for the recipes, I'm going to do them with the gummy worms and fruit slices.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 22:42:00 pm »
Katie's first birthday was Sesame Street themed, in that the plates and balloons and decorations all had Sesame Street characters on them.  We waited until after everyone was gone to open the presents as it seemed like things were just way too chaotic beforehand.  We had Katie's party from about 3 PM until around 8:30 when eveyrone finally wandered home -- she passed out cold before the end -- too much excitement -- and I had to put her to bed.  I'm not really into big themes either, so I don't have much help about the goody bags :)  I'm sure whatever you do will be perfect though :)

Offline Queen Mother

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 14:20:53 pm »
My lo's first birthday party is in three weeks, and we are doing a music theme.  I ordered all the decorations and invitations from http://www.birthdayinabox.com, a really great site with tons of ideas and stuff to order.  I bought a guitar-shaped pinata and maracas for all the kids to take home instead of goody bags.  I also found tons of plastic musical instruments (tamborines, saxophones, recorders, etc.) to place around on the food tables, and we will of course play music at the party.  We are also lucky enough to have an artist in the family, and she is doing music-themed face painting (notes, instruments, etc.). 

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 04:05:24 am »

Hi. I saw a cool theme in a Parents or Child magazine. The theme was "Let's Get Messy and Creative". The idea behind it is too have a big craft party with los. Have old t-shirts to protect clothing, finger paint, card stock, markers, etc. on hand and let the kids have at it. This also encourages parents to participate and make allowances for older sibilings etc. Then you hand out goody bags with soap, whippies, craft suveniours (sp? brain dead right now) etc. It looked fun, but probably an outdoor or basement activity.