Author Topic: Ideas for 8.5 Month Old Active Baby  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Ideas for 8.5 Month Old Active Baby
« on: April 20, 2006, 12:38:47 pm »
Need some toy ideas for my 8.5 month old who is very active! She crawls all over (mostly commando crawling still) and tries to get into everything she shouldn't of course. Some of her toys hold her interest for a bit but not too long. She's pretty much outgrown her gym which worked as both a laying down and seated toy but would love to find some things to really occupy her. Her current favorites are an old remote control, stacking cups, stacking ring and she is always trying to get our speaker stand/wires, etc (of course I don't let her/distract her). But what else might work? We have some space limitations - so no room for anything like a tunnel, ball pit, etc.

Many thanks!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline CosiQ

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Rodrigo and Laura. Textbook boy/Angel baby
Re: Ideas for 8.5 Month Old Active Baby
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 15:23:05 pm »
You  can buy somerhing called "exersaucer" or something like that, itīs like a walker, but it stands in just one point,also,  thereīs something you hang on the door frame, where you put the baby and he starts to jump, like baby-bungee...I doīnīt know the name, but it keeps the baby very busy for about half an hour, and they blow a lot of steam in the process.
Hope it can help.
Victoria
Feliz de ser mamá! :)

Offline mrs_kat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 15:56:17 pm »
We're in the same boat.  Toys were fine until Kenzi started quasi-crawling a week ago.  Not too long ago she hated laying down and only wanted to be propped up to sit and play.  Now she only sits for a few seconds before she's off to rearrange the DVDs.  I put her in the Exersaucer if I won't be able to stay in the room with her.  The only way she'll actually stay on one place and play is if I'm right there playing with her, and even then it's only sometimes.  From my nannying experience, I'm thinking that once she's mastered crawling she won't feel the need to do it nonstop and will hang out to play a little more.
Baby Girl Kenzi - 8/12/05

Offline CosiQ

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Rodrigo and Laura. Textbook boy/Angel baby
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 16:04:13 pm »
SEPARATION ANXIETY!!! it feels great being so loved and needed, but sometines itīs exhausting and frustrating, because you canīt even go to the bathroom!!!  ::)
Try to carry a mat to every room you go, and a box full of "toys" (empty boxes, unbreakable mirror, anything that you know can catch her attention) and let her take outside the box, every item, and talk to her a lot, sing and ask her simple questions, play music....and try step by step to ga a little further every time....she`ll get used to hear your voice, but no seeing you.... ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 16:08:59 pm by CosiQ »
Feliz de ser mamá! :)

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 16:09:33 pm »
Will is only a couple of weeks older and he loves his exersaucer!
Its great as it keeps him out of mischief and it keeps him occupied... we put extra toys around it to keep him going!

H xx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 18:45:00 pm »
Thanks guys. Definitely no SA here yet - she just wants to be into everythign she shouldn't of course. And she won't stay in her exersaucer for more than 10-15 minutes tops - it's too confining!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 20:31:50 pm »
Karen i know what you mean we are going through the same thing at the moment. Catherine is getting around as well not quiet crawling has her own version. She also loves her excersaucer but only stays in it for short periods as well. Her favourite thing to play with is our CD's which she takes from out rack i find at the moment she is more interested in exploring than playing with her toys.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 14:22:08 pm »
My goodness - Marisa and Catherine sound like twins - both like long morning naps, both only want to explore... If you come up with any ideas, let me know. DH and I are thinking of maybe getting her this toy?

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/infanttoys/product.asp?s=bugym&id=32990

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 00:27:38 am »
Oh my god two great minds think alike we got Catherine this for Christmas she loves it noe she can sit at it and play. It is also good when they are standing.

Natasha proud Mum to:

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 13:15:36 pm »
Cool Natasha - I think we may get one this weekend - hope Marisa likes it!

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 00:06:37 am »
Here are a couple of photos of Catherine at hers  ;)
Well the 2hrs in the AM have disapeared again i think because she is teething at the moment but the PM nap is under control again (touch wood). What does Marisa's Day look like?
Haven't seen you in the Aug/Sept 05 forum for a while  ???

Natasha proud Mum to:

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 03:53:37 am »
Oh we are going through the same thing.... Gage has the attention span of a..... baby.  ::) Hmm go figure. Anyway, we have two favs that are so simple and overlooked. Gage looooves bubbles and pushing a 4 square ball back and forth to each other. Who would have thought. The bubbles will stop him in his tracks and is a very good wind down activity.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 10:18:14 am »
It's weird - Marisa likes (in fact, loves) the bubbles in her weekly music/movement class, but not so much at home.

Natasha - just haven't been over to the chat much - it's just too dead over there - the June/July and Sept/Oct ones are huge but not the Aug/Sept... Oh well.

Marisa is still waking early most days - sometimes we are lucky and get 6:15/6:30 - this morning was 5:45. Doesn't seem related to length of naps - but mainly developmental and also related to noise and light (we actually have soundproof windows for the whole apartment on order as we live on a noisy/busy intersection in Manhattan). Her first nap is anywhere between 1 hr 20 and 2 hours - I wake her after 2 hours if she's still going. Second nap tends to be same - depends partially on length of first nap. Between 3-3.5 total hours of day sleep most of the time and 10-10.5 night sleep.

That gym really looks fun - do you think it's worth us buying?