Author Topic: I STILL have a question about dropping bottles...  (Read 1009 times)

Offline cam621

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I STILL have a question about dropping bottles...
« on: April 20, 2006, 15:41:47 pm »
I guess my question is: what are the indications that you should drop a bottle?  I noticed last month that my 10 mo (9 mo last month) wouldn't finish her 11am bottle and figured she was just not hungry because of the solids she was eating.  So I dropped that bottle but she still wasn't making up for that 6 oz that was missed.  She would take only 5-6 (if lucky, 7) oz for the next bottle of the day and would only total about 17-18oz for the day.  I can't seem to make her drink formula from a sippy cup (although I have only tried about 3 times).  I am just not sure what to do.  I tried going back to the 4 bottles a day but she would only take about 4 oz. for the two midday bottles and maybe 5 for the last one so that would actually total a little more than her 3 bottle days (20oz instead of 17-18), but shouldn't I be weaning at this point??  Or should I just go back to the 4 bottles a day to get the extra few oz. in?  This is just so confusing.  I am also at a loss as to how much solids to feed my lo.  She is very picky these days.  Not really that into her pureed foods and wants only finger foods so I am not even sure if she is getting enough since it is hard to quantify finger foods.  She is gaining weight, so I am not that concerned about the weight issue, I am more concerned about the nutrition issue.  I would appreciate ANY help you can give me!

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: I STILL have a question about dropping bottles...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 16:06:33 pm »
Hiya

How old is your LO? How much does she weigh?
If you could give us some more general information I bet that we will be able to help!

H xx

Offline cam621

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 16:09:58 pm »
She is 10 months old and she weighs about 17 lbs and 8oz.  (she is a little thing, but she is growing consistently). Thanks for your help!

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 16:20:36 pm »
I'm not sure how useful it is to you but this is what I do with William, he is 9 months and 2 days and weighs.. about 27lb! (Very tall boy!)  - and it is working really well!

Will's routine - incuding naps and feeding is as follows;
6am - bottle (8oz formula) , nappy change, back into bed until...
8am - gets up, nappy change and gets dressed, goes downstairs to play until...
10am - porridge /  cereal (made with 8oz milk), then plays until,
11am - Naps until...
12.30pm - gets up, nappy change, goes downstairs to play until,
1.30pm - lunch, veggies/ savoury meal and drink of water (he used to have a bottle here until about 3 weeks ago but he dropped it himself as he repeatedly refused it - both before solids or after it , then plays or goes out for a walk etc until,
3.30pm - Naps until
5pm - up, nappy change, goes downstairs to play etc
5.30pm - tea, veggies/savoury meal followed by fruit / other sort of pudding then watches a bit of TV to let his food go down, until
6pm - plays with "quiet" toys, read books, go round the house in little car...
6.30pm - Daddy comes home so has cuddles and chats with daddy..
6.45pm - Bath time (3 nights a week)
7pm - gets ready for bed in his room and then has a bottle of 8oz and gets tucked into his cot (uses a growbag) and goes down for the night at about 7.15ish.

Regarding your LO dropping a bottle its pretty normal... William basicaly just started to refuse to drink the bottle at lunch time - it became a battle and to be honest if he doesnt want it / isnt hungry for it then he wont take it so its not worth the stress lol.. so I dropped it.
If you are concerned about getting more milk into your LO could you make her a rice pudding with her formula... I give William porridge made with his or use it on his weetabix so he keeps the milk intake up. The dairylea cheese spread on toast also gives him calcium and protein... I was going to give him cubes of cheese but it gives him tummy ache.. and my HV says not to give him yoghurt just yet as he has excema - but thats another good thing to give.

I'm no expert on all this but I hope my experiences with Will might help a bit!

H x

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 00:14:21 am »
Ok my Dd dropped her 4th bottle very early at 5months  :o
She started fussing with her 11 and bedtime bottle so i dropped her 11&3 bottle and gave one at 1pm instead. That was the best thing we did as she started drinkind 3x8ozs a day.
Around 8-10months is usually the common time for babies to drop the 4th bottle so i wouldn't woory to much.
To get extra milk into your DD mix some milk with her cereal in the morning and even try giving some in a cup with her meals that is what i do.
As for solids my DD has days where she doesn't eat much of her meals especially dinner and other days she wolfs down her food. You said she is gaining weight so i wouldn't worry to much about it at this stage.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07