Author Topic: baby in a boat?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
baby in a boat?
« on: April 20, 2006, 17:25:13 pm »
hi! we have a 6 week old dd, and as summer is approaching, my dh and i would like to get out on the lake and waterski.. but what about lo? we are first time parents, and i am a bit overprotective (my husband calls it irrational  ;) and we are trying to figure out the safest way to take her out on the boat with us.. anyone have any advice/suggestions/concerns..

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: baby in a boat?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 21:22:17 pm »
Hi -- sounds like a fun idea to me, as long as you go prepared
Here's a link to an infant life jacket I just found http://www.tadspoles.com/product.php?productid=89919363

Also, make sure you protect her skin with clothes and sunscreen, make sure she stays hydrated, especially if you're out for awhile and bring a change of clothes and clean diapers.  Oh and be careful of bugs too!  I think as long as you plan well you'll have a great time :)
Good luck!

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 22:13:07 pm »
a friend of ours told us about a car seat that actually floats- and if propelled out of the boat, that it would turn upright and keep baby out of the water.. he thought it was called "baby buoy" but i searched a little and had no luck (of course, i am not the best internet searcher  :-\) i looked at the lifejacket for infants, but what about seating for her? i can't put her in that inside her carseat.. what do you mommas think i should do? wear her in a baby bjorn and wear a life jacket? have both of us in a life jacket and her in the baby bjorn? is it safer to have her in the carseat (combi) or not? i am a bit clueless, and afraid to ask my mother.. for fear that she would advise me to stay on the shore!  ;) my husnand (the adventurous type) seems to think she'll be fine in her carseat, maybe seatbelted down to the seat in the boat.. i say, "but what if the boat explodes?" (not likely, i know, but remember i am a worrier, and in his terms, irrational ;) and he says.. then we all die. thanks baby... that really helps me feel at ease about taking our lo out on the water.. thanks again for any advice.. we want to make the wisest decisions.. and thanks for the sunscreen advice too- i didn't know you couldn't put it on infants til 6 months of age! good things to know :)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 22:55:08 pm »
in case she does not see this thread - you can probably PM Tarri (her username is Thitz) i don't think she woudl mind. she has a boat and has taken emily out on it when she was little so woudl probably be agood person to talk to.

tarri - hope you don't mind...  :)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 01:01:37 am »
Here in the US, the American Academy of Pediatrics revised the sunscreen guidelines and said it's ok to use on infants under 6 months...apparently the risk of getting burnt was much greater than what they're worried about from the risks of sunscreen.  That being said, they do sell lightweight clothes that have some sort of SPF protection for babies - those with a good hat and maybe sunscreen on her exposed parts would probably work well. 

Hmmm....I'll have to think about the seating...didn't think of that!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 22:28:11 pm »
Hi again-
I found this in a catalog I just got today
http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=132&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=132&change=117
--since it doesn't have a back maybe it would work well for a life jacket to be used with her car seat?  Or maybe you could strap her in the seat and then put her in it.  At any rate, if you decide to use something like that I would definitely try to get her used to it before going out the first time as I'm sure it will feel very odd to her.