Poll

Just wondering at what age did you all introduce a sippy to your Lo's or when are you planning to do it?

Less than 4 months old
3 (6.4%)
4 months old
6 (12.8%)
5 months old
14 (29.8%)
6 months old
17 (36.2%)
7 months old
1 (2.1%)
8 months old
1 (2.1%)
9 months old
1 (2.1%)
10 months old
1 (2.1%)
11 months old
0 (0%)
12 months and over
0 (0%)
Haven't decided
3 (6.4%)
Not going to give one
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: At what age did you introduce a sippy cup to your LO?  (Read 1973 times)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
At what age did you introduce a sippy cup to your LO?
« on: April 20, 2006, 20:41:39 pm »
Just wondering at what age did you all introduce a sippy to your Lo's or when are you planning to do it?

I was just interested as there always seems to be some discussion around them.

I started at 4 months by giving DS a sippy to play with and get used to holding the handles and putting it in his mouth (for him any bit will do). I then started putting an 1oz so he could suck from it himself.

When he was having a down phase (we have up and down drinking phases ::)) I use to put the remainder of the milk in the sippy and he would finish it that way, by either me holding or him doing it himself.

Now progressed to putting very diluted Heinz juice in it to drink with his snack at tea time.
Lauren x

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
Re: At what age did you introduce a sippy cup to your LO?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 22:10:52 pm »
I started with Catherine at 4months as soon as she started solids to get her use to it. Just water with meals to begin with. Now over the last few months i started trying her with milk in a cup when she started fussing with her bottle to get some more into her and loves it now. I think she prefers her milk in a cup to the bottle so i am slowly increasing the amount of milk in her cup with meals and decreasing what she has in her bottle. She generally uses her bottle as a comfort thing and will generally have 100mls or less before fussing with it so i give her a break for 5-10mins and try and get another 50mls.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline dinah34134

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 20:13:52 pm »
i started giving andrew a sippy cup when he was about 5 months old.  he didn't get it until about 8 months old and didn't master it until 10 months.  now he's a pro though.

Offline jamerdeb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Jake
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 12:24:12 pm »
good info..thanks

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • And the Ma-ma bear says...
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 01:38:12 am »
I started with Catherine at 4months as soon as she started solids to get her use to it. Just water with meals to begin with. Now over the last few months i started trying her with milk in a cup when she started fussing with her bottle to get some more into her and loves it now. I think she prefers her milk in a cup to the bottle so i am slowly increasing the amount of milk in her cup with meals and decreasing what she has in her bottle. She generally uses her bottle as a comfort thing and will generally have 100mls or less before fussing with it so i give her a break for 5-10mins and try and get another 50mls.

How old is she now.  Why water and not Breast milk?  Any reason?  Did she take enough in so that you would advise someone to go straight to the sippy cup for supplemental feeds of EBM when mom's away for short periods?

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 06:22:02 am »
jules_is_cute

How old is she now.  Why water and not Breast milk?  Any reason?  Did she take enough in so that you would advise someone to go straight to the sippy cup for supplemental feeds of EBM when mom's away for short periods?

Natasha did not breastfeed at 4months, her Lo (now 9months) was bottlefed and it is encouraged to give LO's either milk or water at an early age to get them used to a sippy.  I also introduced a sippy to Calum at 4 months to get him used to it, lately becasue he is unwell at the moment he takes water as and when he needs it from his cup.

I have heard of mums on this site who have gone straight from breast to sippy with their LO's and missed out the bottle stage altogether. If you need more info about going straight to sippy from breast my thoughts are the ladies at in the breastfeeding boards can advise you on how to do it.  It definitely can be done.  ;)
Lauren x

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • And the Ma-ma bear says...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 16:11:08 pm »
Oh, just curious if I should give Jules water in it first or if there was some other reason for the water intake...but formula fed babies need water too I guess??  I'll ask my DR if that's okay to introduce water.  I'll look at the Breastfeeding board to see about any other help.  Thanks so much.    ;)

Offline datallan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 17:58:39 pm »
started Phoebe on it as soon as possible.
I started with the old fashioned,all spill everywhere so the water came out easy. From there we went to (after 100 cups were tried and tested by her!!) tommee tippee soft spout with handles. She get water or very diluted juice.
I never let her have it for the sake of having it, she gets it when she baby signs for it or a meal times.

I have just got her to drink her morning milk from new beaker (same make) bigger cup no handles so she knwos it is her milk cup.

DEbs

Offline baby*blue*eyes

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 12:08:52 pm »
Thank you for this good information.
Chloe