Author Topic: Advice needed: trying DF again  (Read 1024 times)

Offline joanmarie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Advice needed: trying DF again
« on: April 21, 2006, 02:09:48 am »
I am trying to implement a dreamfeed with my 7.5 month old. I tried in the past and gave up because a) A lot of times I couldn’t stay up until 10:30 b) Sometimes, when I went to him he couldn’t wake up enough to take much c) It really didn’t seem to help him sleep longer- he was actually waking at 1:00 when previously he often slept until 4:00.

Since he WAS sleeping through from 6:45/7:00 until at least 3:30 most mornings, I figured that was probably our best bet and it worked for a while. However, we have been having problems for a few weeks...

This was our ideal schedule for a while up until a few weeks ago.
4:00/5:00 BF and back to sleep (sometimes much difficulty going back to sleep; sometimes had to start our day at 5:30 or 6:00 and adjust from there)
7:00 wake and play in crib about 15 minutes
7:45 BF (because of the night feeding he was not ready to feed right away)
9:30/10:00 nap for 45 minutes (or 1 hour 20 min. sometimes)
11:30 BF
1:30/2:00 nap for 45 min.or 1 hour 20 min. (only 45 min if the morning was longer)
3:00 BF
4:00 maybe take a catnap
5:00 solids
6:30 BF
6:45 sleep until 4 or 5

About 2 weeks ago, he began having frequent nightwakings. I think he had two sorts. Type A was him crying every hour or two for half the night and needing to be resettled. With these, I was able to settle him- sometimes easily, sometimes with <10 minutes of p.u.p.d. But then there were type B wakings: he seemed to be hungry around 10, 11, 12, or 1 (and resettling attempts of 40 minutes did not work) in addition to the regular 4 or 5 feeding time, so he was getting 4 daytime feedings and 2 nighttime feedings. The type A waking mellowed out about a week ago (mostly), but he was still waking to be fed twice a night.

I have done the dreamfeed 3 nights now and these have been the results.
First night:
took DF at 11 and woke to eat at 5:15, couldn’t get him back down so we started our day at 6:00
Second night:
took DF at 10:30, woke to eat at 4:00, went back to sleep until 7:00
Third night:
took DF at 11:00, woke at 3:30 and I did NOT feed him; it took one hour of p.u.p.d. to send him back to sleep, slept 4:30-7:00

Do you think that the dreamfeed is the right way for us to go? I am hoping that it will help us get his milk feedings to 7:00, 11:00, 3:00, 7:00, and the dreamfeed only. And then in the future when he starts taking more solids, I hope we can either drop the df or one of the daytime feeds. (I think I have read that this happens with many of your little ones. Is this correct?)

If anyone has suggestions for our routine other that adding a dreamfeed, please let me know. I am going to try this in the meantime.

Thanks,
Joan
Joan
DS1 9/2005
DS2 7/2008

Offline Lªuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Advice needed: trying DF again
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 14:16:31 pm »
Joan
The dreamfeed should ideally be phased out at 7months (although not always), it can lead to LO not being hungry for their 1st morning bottle and start toffect the rest of the feeds.

If it were me I would not start the d/feed, and try and cut down the minutes take on the night feed. Does your LO take a lot at the night feed or is it more habit?

Have you aso tried changing to 4 hour EASY, this is recomended from 4months onwards, again staying on 3/3.5hr can contribute to frequent nightwakings.
Lauren x