Author Topic: Advice needed: reintroducing bottle, using bottle of ebm for DF,& nipples to use  (Read 777 times)

Offline joanmarie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
JUST FINISHED THIS POST AND REALIZED HOW WORDY I HAVE BEEN, SO I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE.

At 7.5 months, we are going to try a dreamfeed (probably) after it not being part of our routine (didn’t really work for us before, but we are trying to adjust routine for current needs and this may be our answer). However, sometimes I found it a little tricky with breastfeeding.

I know some breastfeeding moms use a bottle of expressed milk for the DF. Is this primarily so the Dad can do the feeding, or is it easier for the lo to take a bottle in his sleep?

I remember reading in one of the books that the dreamfeed is typically easier for bottlefed babies. However, I would think if you wanted to give a bottle to a breasted baby and have him suck efficiently in his sleep, he would have to be pretty used to bottles as well.

DS takes the occasional bottle, but I have to admitt, since he doesn’t NEED to take a bottle often, I haven’t been staying on top of seeing that he gets one frequently enough lately, and he has become resistant. He refused a bottle from my husband last night and his grandmother today. I actually got him to take the bottle today (after a struggle), but he would only take it from me.

I guess I am going to have to work a few days on getting him to take a bottle at all (from me), and then when we see my mom in a few days, work on him taking a bottle from someone else. DH,  though he loves to play with ds when he comes home from work, is too stressed and exhausted to actually do any of the baby care, so for now having him do it regularly is not really an option.

Can I switch to a faster nipple for the occasional bottles?
The bottle I have been using is a slow flow nipple, and he really has to work a long time to get out the milk. I know that for BF babies you don’t want bottles to be so easy that they want to give up the breast, but since he won’t be getting them that often I am thinking of trying a faster flow because in the past when he has had a bottle at bedtime he has tuckered out after only a couple ounces of milk and I don’t want to send him to bed without a full meal. (Also in the daytime he is easily distracted and I can see him losing interest in sucking before he is able to get enough milk.)

Once I do get him used to the bottle again, should I attempt to use it for the dreamfeed? Any pros/cons?

Joan
DS1 9/2005
DS2 7/2008

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Ok, I will do the best I can to answer all your questions.

We used a bottle for a dreamfeed.  This was for the reason you mentioned, so my hubby could do it.  We also introduced it a bit later in the game.  Around 5 months I think, but we used formula.  My lo was used to the bottle by this time, but only after trying hard during the day and after trying 3 different formulas mixed with breast milk.  So I can appreciate your bottle struggles.

Also, we tried the dream feed by the breast, but both my son and I couldn't get the knack of it and it usually resulted in him wide awake and unhappy.

If your little one is generally sleeping for their dreamfeed and not awake, it may be easy for you to try and gently slip the bottle into his mouth.  He may be more willing to take it because he's drowsy, but you know your little one best and you know if this will work for you.  I don't think he needs to be 100% efficient at the bottle because he's so sleepy and will just likely suck on anything. 

I think at 7.5 months it is perfetly fine to go to a faster flow nipple.  I think he's perfected his breastfeeding so introducing something where he gets it a bit faster wont' hurt anything.

I hope I have helped.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)