Author Topic: Hunger at night  (Read 931 times)

Offline redfroggy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Sykesville, MD
Hunger at night
« on: April 21, 2006, 11:07:06 am »
My DS, who is 4 months old, wakes up at 2:30, 4:30, sometimes more often, to feed.
This is even with a dream feed at 10:00.

I have tried to get him to increase his intake during the day, but when he is done, he is done and there is nothing you can do about it. ::)

Do I let him eat because he needs too? Does he grow out of this? Or how should I encourage him to take more food during the day?

P.S. I am trying to get him on the four hour schedule, from not having one,but he keeps chaning when he needs to sleep. He still likes to eat every two ounces.

Any advice is appreciated.
If you do the same thing you always did, you get the same thing you always got.

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Hunger at night
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 15:49:52 pm »
def move lo to a 4 hr routine as this will help him take in more milk/formula at once and sustain the tummy for a longer period and hopefully that will take effect on the night's also. i would think that if lo is waking earlier than 3 hrs (based on a three hr routine in place - as you would have been feeding every three hrs) at night then you wouldn't need to feed. are you absolutely positive you are reading cues/cried right? could it be discomfort from body temp, teething, gas,..etc...? could you post your routine pls?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline redfroggy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Sykesville, MD
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 15:33:31 pm »
His routine varies. I have a really hard time sticking him to it.

6:30- wake
7:00-e about 4 oz
8:00 -N
10- snacks
11:00-n up to 2 hours
1:00-N again
will eat somewhere
3:00-nap sometimes
4:00-E
5-7 pm. sleep
10 dream feed
2:00 e
4:30 -e (snacks)
5:00-Naps for 30 min.
6:00-6:30-e

Problem is that he is a snacker. I am having a hard time getting him off of this.

He is a "spririted" baby. Quickly into a meltdown if I don't give him a snack or a nap when he wants.

I started last night to dilute his formula except for the dream feed. Apparently he can tell because he started fussing a little.

It is hard to do the four hour because he does need that 8:00 am nap.

He also really likes to take an ounce or two before falling asleep. He sleeps in his crib, so it is not falling asleep with a feed.

I think this may be more of an eating issue than a sleeping one.

I try to make him take extra food during the day. But when he is done eating, that is it.

The only prop he has is white noise. Can't sleep without it.

Also, when he wakes, he fusses a good 15 minutes by eating his hands. It gets more intense and he will break out into a full cry until I get a bottle too him.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 15:35:55 pm by redfroggy »
If you do the same thing you always did, you get the same thing you always got.

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 00:59:47 am »
i think you need to GRADUALLY move to a 4 hr routine..i say gradually b/c that's how i had to do it with my dd - she too is very spirited and demanding in the same way..but it is possible just takes a lot of work and consistancy on your part. for now, i think that is what you need to focus on and the rest should slowly start falling into place on its own once he is able to keep more food in his belly for longer periods by having the 4 hr routine - after that it may totally fall into place and you may have to do some sleep training - but i don't really know what else to suggest - except get to that 4 hr mark and see what happens. good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005