Author Topic: Low Yield?  (Read 816 times)

Offline melbrad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:37:38 pm »
I did a yield this am to see if I am producing enough.  My dd is 14 weeks and I only yielded a total of 3 1/2 ounces from both breasts.  I kow that if they are breastfeeding they actually take more than that, but how much more?

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Low Yield?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 13:11:44 pm »
You can't rely on pumping as a yield.  I could only ever get about 3 oz and I have been nursing for 9 months now. 

I think the only way you can truly do a yield is if you have your lo weighed before you nurse and then directly afterwards.  That way you know exactly what you are giving your lo.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Low Yield?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 15:52:50 pm »
I would agree. A yeild is by no way an accurate means of establishing the amount of milk you supply. Every women can express a different amount and it isnt dependant on the amount of milk you are producing. I know I could only epxress around 2oz but DS would struggle to keep up with my flow when he was around your LO's age so I was producing way more than that. I'd do as Jodie suggest if you possibly can.

Are you concerned about your supply? As long as you DD is having plenty of wet nappies and seem happy/content I would worry. HTH  :)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06