Author Topic: need help with one month old & EASY!  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Silas Mum

• Allison Vancouver, BC CANADA
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:54:43 pm »
Hopefully someone can help me!  Our one month old has been on EASY since one week old and wakes up, without fail, almost to the minute every three hours.  In the 'evening', he even wakes up every two hours ... it's like he knows that it's cluster feed time.  We are doing the dream feed (usually takes only an ounce though).  The average he eats is 32oz. in a 24 hour period, but he sure takes his sweet time eating --- usually takes an  hour for him to eat 4 oz.  I know I can't expect him to totally sleep through the night, but the longest stretch he goes is 3 1/2 hours.  What am I doing wrong?  I try to follow the EASY plan and re-read the book many a time to make sure I'm doing it right.  Could this be because he's been eating part formula part pumped breast milk?  My goal is to get him onto just formula fairly quickly here.  He goes down to sleep pretty good most of the time (even when awake and put in crib).  He seems to suffer from gas, I think, as I get lots of burps out of him.  I don't know if this additional info. will help, but when I try to settle him for sleep, after swaddling him good and tight, he arches his back, flails his head around and really kicks and tries to stand and fusses, not usually a full out cry.  I just keep trying to burp him and pat his bottom hard.  Then I get him to calm down and put him in the crib, which then he squirms a few minutes later and before he gets to the crying part, I pick him up and try to settle him by patting him again and then putting him right back down.  I don't know if this is related to the 'not sleeping through the night' question I have ... but thought I'd add it anyway.
Thanks!

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: need help with one month old & EASY!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 14:22:25 pm »
Silas Mum

You are doing absolutely nothing wrong  ;) You sound like your doing an excellent job.

Remember your LO is only a month old, it is very common for them to carry their 3hr cycle throughout the night as well until they are a bit older, my DS woke at 11pm, 2am then 5am untill he was 3 or 4 months. Your LO will usually tell you when he wants to drop a night feed.

The average he eats is 32oz. in a 24 hour period, but he sure takes his sweet time eating --- usually takes an  hour for him to eat 4 oz.

This is a huge amount for a 1 month old to take, my Ds was taking this at 4months - what weight is your LO?

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline weenie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 10:54:44 am »
Hi im not sure how things are now but i thought id let you know what Ive done as my LO also suffers with gas and is really uncomfortable when i put him down - legs come up face contorts cries etc.
I wait 15 minutes after feeding him before lying him down to do anything - sleep nappy change etc. When he does lie down ive raised the mattress slightly at one end so he's sleeping on a 30 degree angle when hes getting nappy changed after a feed i raise his top half slightly. It has really helped.
Not sure if thats any use to you. x