Author Topic: 10 wk old activity time  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Missy Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
10 wk old activity time
« on: April 21, 2006, 17:01:10 pm »
My 10 week old doesn't stay awake more than 1  hour at a time - including diaper change and feeding.  She starts to get really upset at the one hour mark so I put her down.  Shouldn't she want to stay up longer?

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: 10 wk old activity time
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 23:02:38 pm »
mlee,
What is the rest of her day like?  How long does she nap?  How is her night sleeping?  The answers to those questions may be the key to finding out if she needs more awake time.  You can try slowly extending the A time by 5 minutes and see how she adjusts.
Please post your daily routine with times.
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 01:02:01 am »
She usually wakes at 7:30 for the day.
She eats every 3 to 3.5 hours.  Total awake time including eating for about 20 minutes and diaper change is 50-60 minutes.  Then she starts crying.  I swaddle her and she takes her paci and is out.  She'll sleep for about 2 hours.  She wakes up during that 2 hour period but puts herself back to sleep. 

The exception is after the 5 o'clock feeding.  We'll bathe and then she'll be asleep for about 20 minutes (6:20 or so) and then be up until the 8 o'clock feeding.  She doesn't sleep during that cycle really, even with being held/rocked. 

Generally, after the 8 o'clock feeding, she'll sleep until the DF at 10:30.  Then she sleeps for about 5 hours.  Feeds and sleeps again until 7:30.

So, she's pretty consistent about naptime except late afternoon.  I've never had her sleep more than the 5 hours so there's still one night-time feeding but that seemed normal to me at 10 weeks.  But I don't know.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 21:18:41 pm »
That all sounds about right to me.  I think everything you and your little one are doing is perfect.  The afternoon/evening is perfectly normal too.  A catnap and then getting ready for bed.  Just keep listening to the sleepy cues and don't be suprised when she starts wanting to be awake a little longer.  If you notice the naps getting shorter, that will be a big key to making an attempt to extend her awake times.  I think the night feeding is normal too... so is it 6 feeds per 24 hours?  Sounds right on.  As you move towards 4 months you will notice a big change in being able to stay awake, but you may need to help her.
Let us know if you have any more questions!
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months