Author Topic: Fun outside  (Read 1418 times)

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
Fun outside
« on: April 10, 2006, 23:18:03 pm »
Now that spring has officially sprung, I'm hoping to have DS outside in the warm weather a lot more. One thing I'm concerned about is what he might ingest should I be momentarily distracted. My brother was notorious for eating whole handfuls of earth! DS has been on solids for about a month now, so his tummy is used to something other than milk, but I guess I'm just concerned about him eating grass by accident, or earth, or sand, or a friendly earthworm...

What did you do with your LOs?

Thanks!

Mrs. B.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Fun outside
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 01:37:55 am »
Hi Mrs. B-
My LO isn't too keen on sitting on the grass (I think it feels pretty strange to her) so I keep her on a blanket outside.  Generally, I also find that before she actually tries to eat something, she picks it up and stares at it before "tasting" it so I have plenty of time to intervene.  Plus, the texture of most stuff outside is kind of unfamiliar, so in the case of my LO and the leaf she tried to eat last fall, she just choked on it before ingesting it.  Also, provided your lawn/outside area isn't sprayed with fertilizer or pesticide, I wouldn't worry too much about it anyway. 
Have fun!

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 01:42:25 am »
Like Erin's LO, my dd often looks before just jamming something in her mouth so it gives me time to get close. I tend to turn a blind eye to sand at the beach, she'll taste test grass and other things off the grass - but I just calmly go up to her and say "yucky" and hold my hand for her to hand it over. I personally don't stress over it too much. Just crawling around in the house and then putting hands in mouths is getting plenty of "dirty" type things in there (and we have a dog) - she's only ever had a couple of colds, so is immune to our immediate environment anyway.

Offline Queen Mother

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 14:24:25 pm »
My son isn't crazy about sitting on the grass either.  I sit him on a blanket and we roll balls back and forth or blow bubbles.  I, too, have noticed that if he happens to get sticks or leaves in his hands, he stares at them for a while before he tries to eat them, which gives me plenty of time to take them from him.