Author Topic: Moving nap time???  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: April 21, 2006, 17:01:57 pm »
Carmela is clearly teething.  She just got two of her bottom (2 year old) molars in and I can see white on one of the top ones.  With daylight savings time, she was doing really well.  She'd go into bed at 8:00 and fall asleep by 9:00 (which wasn't great) BUT she was sleeping until 7:30...something she NEVER did...so though she was only getting 10.5 hours sleep it was working for us.  She was taking her nap at 1:00 and falling right asleep and sleeping 2 hours on most days.

Well fast forward to now.  She is still going to bed at 8:00.  Most nights she's asleep by 8:30...sometimes by 9:00.  She is waking in the morning anywhere from 6:20 to 7:30.  Carmela also is up several times at night, but always able to get herself back to sleep after awhile.  I never have to go in.  All in all, on average, she gets 10-11 hours at night with the wakings, etc.  Great!  Not a problem for us.

Now the problem becomes naps.  I've been putting her in at 1:00.  The rule is if she's not sleeping at 1:30 p.m. I go in and rub her back until she is (it never takes longer than 5 minutes..though it used to take 2 mins, then 3 and now we're at 5 so I see it taking longer).  She's teething though and has a never ending runny nose so I don't know if these two things have anything to do with her not putting herself to sleep at nap time. 

Every morning around 10-11 a.m. she seems sleepy, then wakes up after lunch (served at 11:45-12) and at 1:00 she just doesn't seem sleepy...though at 1:30 she obviously is if I can get her to sleep quickly.  I'm thinking of moving nap time to 1:30 but I am so afraid that it will mean she won't fall asleep on her own still and I'll be putting her to sleep at 2:00 and then putting her to bed at night later.  I don't want her up too much after 8:00 as I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I need some time without her before going to bed myself!!!!!

Suggestions?

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Moving nap time???
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 17:24:33 pm »
Hiya, have you tried pain meds at night for her teeth. Florencia has a good take on teething causing "hang over like wakefulness" which would make sense! I give H "medised" whilch has a mild antihistamine - nice and sleepy at bedtime!

I would be bothered that moving the naps would push bedtime later to be honest - I think consistency is better, even if you have to work at it occasionally. It may be the teething that is just making her settle a bit later, but if you push it back she will get used to that and so on.

It may be Leahsmum who has just posted that her lo has just spent several weeks in a"blip" and come through.......

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 17:49:50 pm »
I do give Motrin before bedtime (not naps).  I used to do Benadryl but it started having the opposite effect.  I think we're going to stick it out at 1:00 and hope she comes through.  We have a 2 year old well visit on May 1 and if she still looks like she's teething, I'll have the ped take a look.

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Moving nap time???
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 18:00:54 pm »
can you get homeopathic teething powders where you are? I use these during the day and they seem to have a calming effect - certainly don't do any harm. You give them every two hours so they have a cumulative effect.