Author Topic: im new !! can i feed my baby fish?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline claud

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 21, 2006, 20:22:31 pm »
hi there

i am new to this forum

i have started feeding my baby boy solids- he is almost 6 mo. I have done carrot, banana, apple, potato, baby rice, courgettes and broccoli. He seems to like any thing- bit like me- except banana - bit like me!!

I was wandering - can i introduce fish? i was making fresh salmon, cous cous and fried courgette with Greek yogurt for myself and i have put some aside, pureed it and kept it for tomorz but i don't know if was wise to give it to him yet.

i guess i would like to introduce him to our family foods now. I only started weaning about 2 weeks ago but it is going well. The HV said i should have him on 3 meals a day in 4 weeks time! i thought that was a bit pushy?? i don't know how to progress to that.can anyone help with what you think??

cheers  xx x

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: im new !! can i feed my baby fish?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 22:56:34 pm »
Claud,
Fish is not advised under 6 months, so I would hold off until then, and then be cautious and watch for allergic reactions.

What is your feeding routine now?  1 or 2 meals?  My dd2 progessed rapidly to 3 meals a day, in a month's time.  She could've moved sooner, but I held back.  Take your boy's lead and if he seems as though he 'wants' more solids, introduce a new meal.  At this point, breatsmilk/formula is still the best source of calories.

~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 00:15:34 am »
I also didn't start with any meat until 6months and i started with tuna first then quickly moved onto chicken. I would also wait until your little one is 6months.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 19:27:52 pm »
I agree, don't start fish until after 6 months. We started with cod. I just steamed a boneless fillet, and pureed it. DS loved it. I haven't tried salmon yet for him, but I'll try that.