Author Topic: Spirited, Grumpy or Touchy?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Missy Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Spirited, Grumpy or Touchy?
« on: April 21, 2006, 21:28:03 pm »
I've read the brief descriptions of the baby personalities that Tracy included in BW and BW part 2.  I can't decide whether my lo is spirited, touchy or grumpy.  Here are some of her traits if anyone can help me zero in so that I can better tailor EASY.

She was a wild child in the womb.  She kicked like a bull.  She did not like it when I slept on my right side and would kick, punch, whatever until I turned over and then she'd settle down.
She was super alert right after birth even though she was 3 weeks early.  She never really slept a lot, even the first several weeks.
She is 10 weeks old and follows objects in an 180 arc, reaches for toys, imitates my facial expressions, keep her legs straight and hold her head up.
She babbles a lot recently.  But she can be smiling and babbling one second and then screaming the next.  I have to swaddle her for her to calm down - regular receiving blankets couldn't hold her though and I had to buy the miracle blanket.  She has recently started to self sooth and can get herself back to sleep usually.  When she's ready to nap, she starts screaming until she's swaddled and put down.  There is no keeping her up a little longer to extend activity time unless that extended time is screaming time.  She used to startle easily and completely wake herself up.  This started changing this past week - she'll suck on her pacifier and slowly drift off.  She'll wake once during naptime and need her paci to calm back down to finish naptime. 

She lets strangers hold and feed her but she's suspicious.  She definitely likes me better than anyone, including her daddy.

When she's hungry, she's hungry NOW.  She eats about 3 ounces at a time.  She only likes one type of formula and before I found it would scream during feedings and only take 1.5 to 2 ounces.

She sleeps about 5 hours at a time during the night - waking at 3 and 8 to eat.    She fusses a lot during the night though - grunting, crying out, fussing.  She wakes herself up occassionally but usually just makes a lot of noises and moves a lot while eyes still closed.  Sometimes I don't know whether I should go to her when she starts fussing a lot - her eyes are open and she's crying.  Usually if I give her a paci, she'll go back to sleep.  Sometimes I've nursed her though because I'm not sure whether she's hungry but I should learn because she'll nurse for a minute and then is asleep again.

Is this enough to tell her personality?  It seems like she fits Touchy, Grumpy or Spirited depending on if we're talking about eating, activity or sleeping.  I always thought Spirited but she seems to have other aspects.
Thanks.

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
Re: Spirited, Grumpy or Touchy?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 21:31:12 pm »
Also, another big personality trait is that we can't do anything new or exciting in late afternoon or night time or she takes HOURS to go to sleep.  We can't go over to mother-in-law's for dinner or the lo will take forever to go to sleep.  Sometimes, after the 5 o'clock feeding and bath, she won't sleep.  She's drift in and out until 8 o'clock feeding.

Offline courtneyandmiles

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 21:53:23 pm »
From what I read about your Dd, I agree:  SPIRITED!

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Spirited, Grumpy or Touchy?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 06:04:32 am »
have you tried the get yo know your baby quiz?

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52283.0
Lauren x