Author Topic: Increasing supply at bedtime  (Read 698 times)

Offline kparish

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 22, 2006, 17:22:14 pm »
Hi, I've been EBF my 3 month old DD with some difficulties but have hung in there. I did have over-supply but that seems to be under control now. My problem is that now that the oversupply is gone, my DD is waking more at night to eat (used to sleep until 4 or 5 now up at 2 & 5). I'm wondering if I pump after her last feeding of the day, will I soon produce more milk and maybe she will eat more and sleep longer? Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Offline Carter'sMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
Re: Increasing supply at bedtime
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 22:46:23 pm »
Hi There!

Your DD could be going through a growth spurt and that might be why she is waking more often.  You could try pumping after the last feed to increase your supply.  As well you could do cluster feeding for a few days before bed as another way to increase supply.  So if she normally eats at (just an example) 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7 pm you could instead do 7am, 10am, 1pm, 3:30pm, 5:30pm and 7:30pm-8:00pm and then bed.  I used to do this whenever Carter had a growth spurt and it seemed to do the trick in only 2-3 days.  You can vary your times to work with your schedule obviously but the goal is to get another feed in there to help fill her up!

HTH  :)
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Increasing supply at bedtime
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 23:11:53 pm »
Definately could be a growth spurt at 3 months.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline kparish

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 23:18:11 pm »
I did think that it was a growth spurt, but it has been going on for 3 weeks now so I doubt it. She actually has been going longer between feeds during the day (up to 3 hours from 2 1/2) so maybe this is compensating?  I don't know, I should just go with the flow but I'm exhausted!!

Thanks for the replies.