Author Topic: Advice on feeds etc  (Read 1206 times)

Offline gill_pri

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 23, 2006, 13:57:40 pm »
Hi,

At the moment twins (9 weeks) have 6oz f. feeds every 4 hours and sleep a lot also, but these feeds are right through the day. ie 7.30am, 11.30am, 3.30pm, 7.30pm, 11.30pm, 3.30pm. They have the full 6oz each time and never leave a drop.

1. Do you think I should increase the amount of feed
2. Should I give same amount during the day but say at the 7.30pm feed give a larger bottle?
3. Or could I bring the feeds forward so they are say 6.30am, 9.30am, 12.30pm, 4pm, 6pm, then a dream feed at say 10pm. If I did this would I keep it at 6oz feeds but the 4pm and 6pm and 10pm what amount feeds would I do then????

Or unless any one else has any suggestions

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Advice on feeds etc
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 18:47:12 pm »
hi gill_pri

1. Do you think I should increase the amount of feed
I was always advised by my HV that is Calum drains his bottle, he needs more if he leaves about 0.5oz he has taken his fill. So if your LO's are draining it may be worthwhile increasing the bottle by 1oz and see how you go from there, I think its always better to offer extra and if they don't take it  - fine.

2. Should I give same amount during the day but say at the 7.30pm feed give a larger bottle?
I personally give an oz more at breakfast (7oz), then the next 2 bottles (6oz each) then the bedtime bottle is 10oz

3. Or could I bring the feeds forward so they are say 6.30am, 9.30am, 12.30pm, 4pm, 6pm, then a dream feed at say 10pm. If I did this would I keep it at 6oz feeds but the 4pm and 6pm and 10pm what amount feeds would I do then????

When I used to CF every 2hr in the evening I still gave him a full bottle, I followed his cues regarding intake, however I always made the last bottle before bed a bigger bottle.
Lauren x

Offline gill_pri

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 19:52:56 pm »
So if I say did for example a
7am feed 7oz
10am feed 6oz
1pm 6oz
4pm 6oz
7pm 10oz

would you still do a dream feed at about 10pm/11pm and how much 3oz???

If i felt that they still where draining the full bottles i could increase each feed by 1oz

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 19:58:34 pm »
So if I say did for example a
7am feed 7oz
10am feed 6oz
1pm 6oz
4pm 6oz
7pm 10oz

Looks like a plan!
Yes, if they drain, just increase the bottle. I would just make a bottle for the d/feed and see what they take, there isn't a 'set' amount - you'll need to play it by ear - I would put a fair bit in, so it isn't drained.
Lauren x

Offline gill_pri

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 20:14:46 pm »
They say the DF do not wind?? So even if they drank more than say 3oz would you still not wind them?

At what stage would you stop the dream feed?

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 20:17:54 pm »
No don't wind, I also find that when babies sleep eat they take in less wind anyway.

They say to stop about 7months, as it can cause more problems i.e lack of hunger in the day, et....
Lauren x