Author Topic: Introduced solids - decrease in milk intake  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Kerrie Hughes

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Introduced solids - decrease in milk intake
« on: April 23, 2006, 17:16:45 pm »
Hi,

My son is 5 months and I introduced his first solids last week. He has his BF at 11am and then I offer some solids. He has had baby rice and pears so far. He absolutley loves it and can't get enough. That seems to be the problem - when it comes to his next feed, he's not really hungry. He took about 4oz today (he was taking about 7 to 8 - I know this as I often give him his bottle at this feed). Solid wise I gave him about 2 teaspoons of baby rice today. He then fussed for more so I gave him an icecube amount of pear puree.

I am worried that he is not getting enough milk. Have I started too soon? Should I stop? Not sure if it's relevent but he's just over 18lbs.

Any advice would be great. I wish I could stop worrying about everything and just trust that he knows what he's doing! Anyone else feel like that or is it just me  ???

Thank you all in advance.

Kerrie

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Introduced solids - decrease in milk intake
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 01:06:05 am »
My advice is to stop and try again at 6months, he might not be ready if it is effecting his milk intake.
At this age until 10-12months milk is still the most important intake for babies and when introducing solids their milk intake shouldn't change to begin with. It may drop a few ozs when they are having 3meals.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Kerrie Hughes

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:33:37 am »
Thanks for the advice. I think I will stop and see if his milk intake increases again. It's so tricky to know if it's the solids or his cold! After his feed this morning he coughed causing a huge projectile vomit of pretty much the entire feed! My husband has had to take our duvet to the launderette. Poor little thing!

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 01:26:42 am »
Perhaps try again when his cold is gone and see how you go then. If he still doesn't take to it try again at 6months.
Good luck  ;)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07