Author Topic: On 4 hour easy with 16 week old - need some adjustments  (Read 938 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
On 4 hour easy with 16 week old - need some adjustments
« on: April 23, 2006, 20:28:13 pm »
I've been on a 4 hour EASY with my 16 week old for about a month now. We made the switch at about 12 weeks pretty much whole hog instead of by increments because he was that ready! He's a big guy -nearly 17 pounds right now and taking about 32 oz per day. When we made the change to 4 hour EASY we overcame the 45 minute nap monster and he started sleepig until 7 am regularly instead of waking at 5 am ready to start the day. It was a great change for us!

However, now like clockwork, 4 weeks later he's ready for anotehr change because his naps are starting to go to crap again and his night time sleep is becoming more disrupted. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of extending awake time and shortening naps (hopefully just the morning one?), but I'm doubting myself! I'm wondering if my LO is being awake too long because even though he's struggling staying asleep for his naps, we're really struggling with extending the awake time too. Especially in the morning - his awake time was a full 2 hours, and more than that is really hard to do at his little age.

Here is what our schedule was yesterday:

7 am awake
E 7:15
A 7:45
S 9-9:45 then he woke up and I couldn't get him back to sleep until 10:15. He slept until 10:45

E 11:00
A 11:30-13:00 (a long one because we were out and about)
S 13:00-15:00 (but he needed me to come and settle him twice after 14:00, including a stint in the rocker, which I haven't had to do since he was 12 weeks old).

E 15:00
A 15:15-17:00
S 17:00-17:45 (I thought I saw sleepy signs at 16:30, which is usually when he goes down for a nap. tried to put him down but he fussed and cried, so we went down and did quiet play with daddy for 1/2 an hour. Went back upstairs and had our best nap of the day!).

E 18:00
Bed time routine, and bed at 19:30 (usually bed at 19:00, but since he had his catnap late yesterday, he went to bed later).

Today I was able to keep him up 2hr10 this morning, and he did nap 1.5 hours this morning, but after 1hr15, he needed his paci twice to stay asleep. Do you think I'm on the right track with extending awake time? At his second awake time I kept him up 1hr55 instead of the 1hr45 we usually stay up. It was a struggle, but he went down easily for the nap.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: On 4 hour easy with 16 week old - need some adjustments
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 15:09:31 pm »
Any change you make that makes the situation better sounds like a good change to me.  You seem to know exactly what he needs, so just trust yourself.  Sounds like his naps are going to improve with just a slight adjustment.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007