Author Topic: ? about bowel movements  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Dachsdragon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
? about bowel movements
« on: April 24, 2006, 07:39:41 am »
My LO hasnt had a bowel movement for 3 or 4 days. I know this is normal for a breastfed baby but she does have a bottle of formula at night 50 to 100 mls (for the last couple of weeks). She has started to have some really smelly gas though, I keep thinking she has done a bowel movement but I check and she hasnt. Should I be worried? Should I be doing something?
I would appreciate any help.
Tash

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:59:20 am »
For breastfed babies it is quite normal not have bowel movements for up to 10 days  :o...

But because she gets formula at night I don't really know. It is possible that the formula is constipating her... Whenever DS was constipated I used one scoop less and added a bit more water.

What also works is for one morning feed to quickly switch from one breast to the other so that she gets more foremilk. That was advise from the breastfeeding councillor for hot days and sweaty babies as well...

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: ? about bowel movements
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:25:10 am »
When we switched to formula my DS also had very smelly wind...still does...my ped says its the type of formula...not  bad for him tho! If she is constiapted she will have smelly wind tho

Offline Dachsdragon

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 03:44:55 am »
Thanks.  She still hasn't gone.  I hope she goes soon.  I already feed from both breasts, for most feeds because I dont have much milk in one breast. (very lopsided  ::))  I give her a bit of water in between feeds.  UGH..........  The good thing is I have a doctors appointment for her in two days so if she hasn't gone by then perhaps the doc can suggest something.  I just want her to go so I can see if shes constipated or if its just nothing to worry about.  Its driving me nuts!!!
Tash

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 07:46:18 am »
just wanted to add..sounds nasty but WORKS! u could stimulate her a bit  to get her to go! I hae done this numerous time on ped recommendation and works like a treat! Take an ear bud and put loads of vaseline on the end and gentle insert into her bottom (not too far in!!) move in around a bit till she 'lets go'!! hoep that helps..always has done for us!

Offline Dachsdragon

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 08:34:19 am »
I did have a go today with a thermometer, but it didn't do anything except make her pass a bit of gas.  Its quite small though compared to an ear bud.  About how far would you put the ear bud in? Half the cottony part? (I have the adult type and the ones special for babies) She has such a tiny bottom.  Shes only 8 weeks old.  Perhaps I can try it tomorrow if she doesn't go through the night.
Tash

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 08:50:59 am »
Thermometer also good...i would try again and DS often passes wind a few times then is able to poo!

Offline Dachsdragon

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 09:10:51 am »
I tried the ear bud thing this morning and still no movements so I took her to the doctor who said to go to the pharmacy and get some baby stool softeners for her to take (I didn't think you could get stool softeners for LO's over the counter)  and low and behold three hours after the first dose she went.  YAY!!!!!! 
Thanks heaps for your support.
Tash

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 10:57:46 am »
Really pleased for u! Is she feeling happier?

Offline Dachsdragon

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 11:55:13 am »
Yes she seems to be happier. Thanks  :)
Tash