Author Topic: New Nap Schedule Because of Nursery = OVERTIRED!  (Read 925 times)

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
New Nap Schedule Because of Nursery = OVERTIRED!
« on: April 24, 2006, 13:53:23 pm »
Hi -

I am posting this for my sister.  Her ds is 20 months old and recently started nursery in the mornings only.  Before he started nursery, he would typically wake around 5:30  :o and then would have a nap at 10.  He would take what my sister called a "decent" nap - like over an hour.  So now that he is at nursery, there is no morning nap and he is just taking one nap right after lunch once my sister gets him home.  I know that ideally the nursery should give him a nap if he needs it, but my sister seems ok with this arrangement.  Anyway, he is obviously overtired by the afternoon and falls asleep for his nap only to wake up 30 minutes later SCREAMING.  Then my sister picks him up and lays him on the guest bed and he falls asleep there for 2 hours.  During that time she has to stay in the room with him  while she works on her laptop.  She realizes this is creating a bad habit but feels badly for him and does not know how to help him go back to sleep otherwise.  I was thinking she could try being there BEFORE he wakes up at 30 minutes to do some kind of wake to sleep but I don't know how you would do this with a toddler (my dd is almost 11 months).  She does not do BW with him but he does fall asleep on his own.  She did CC with him and that is how he learned to go to sleep on his own (at 6 months).  She feels her only option is to leave him to cry when he wakes up screaming after 30 minutes.  She has not done this yet and does not want to so I am hoping someone has some advice so that she can avoid this.  He is an intelligent, fun, and sweet little boy with an amazing mommy so any advice anyone has to help him get through this would be MOST appreciated!  :D

Melissa ~ Sister to Jennie, Aunt and Godmother to Patrick!   

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
Re: New Nap Schedule Because of Nursery = OVERTIRED!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 14:24:04 pm »
What time does he go to bed at night?  If he's waking at 5:30 the option might be to try wake to sleep to extend his night sleep so that he is not overtired at his afternoon napso that he won't wake and need your sister.

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
Re: New Nap Schedule Because of Nursery = OVERTIRED!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 14:58:14 pm »
Hi - He has had a 7 pm bedtime for as long as I can remember.  And his early mornings have been going on for ages as well.  My sister has tried just everything to get him to sleep longer in the am (including putting him to bed earlier than 7 and later than 7) but nothing works.  She is just resigned to the fact that his body clock is set at 5:30.  When he was having an AM nap he was doing fine, but now things are totally messed up.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Thanks!