Author Topic: our routine  (Read 1611 times)

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
our routine
« on: April 24, 2006, 15:14:32 pm »
Another BW suggested I post my routine for u since we r having so many probs with sleeping so here goes.... Ds makes it very hard to stick to a routine but this is what I aim for!!

wake 7-8am (if I can..I get him to feed but often he refuses)
 9.30-10 sleep ( try to aim for 1hr or so but often MUCh shorter)
11.30-12 feed (again-IF i can get him to eat!)
2.00-2.30 sleep (try to aim for 1.5 hrs+)
4.30ish - feed
6.00 try catnap but often VERy hard to get him to sleep)
7.00 bath and bottle
7.30 BED

AWAKE ANYWHERE BETWEEN 3 AND 10 times

Offline Intransit

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:53:46 am »
Hi there, good on you for your efforts!
I do have a few questions for you...specifically about the naps...you mentioned they are short.about an hour or less...have you tried attempting to put him back to sleep? or go into his room and try to help him through the sleep cycle? I found that beneficial..and after some time..he went to 1.5-2 hour naps.
What is the problem with getting him to eat? My DS took about 45 minutes to finish a bottle..and still now..at 11 months he takes 6 ounces...then plays for 15 min..comes back to finish it. Could you elaborate on that a bit for us?
How old is your LO as well?
Looking forward to your reply.
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
Re: our routine
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 07:43:49 am »
Hi! Thanx for getting back to me...LO is 6 months and has had probs eating for 2 months due to illness..all sorts...lactose intollerance reflux gastroeneritis and the list goes on!
I hav etried getting him back to sleep when he wakes during naps but he usually DOESNT..unless i pick him up and rock him liek mad which Im really tryint not to do! Need him to sleep independently!
I tried w2s which seemed ot work for a few days then he started taking shorter naps again.
Really want to implement EASY with him but u can see how this is hard with eatign and sleeping probs!!

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 08:57:17 am »
Right..Ds has just slept 1.5hrs for his nap with NO intervention form me???? Y? cannot work out what is diff? He IS overtired as had a rough night and 3 hrs A time....really need to work out what has helped him to go the 1.5hr stretch so I can repeat it?? ??? :o :D

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 13:30:38 pm »
I sympathise with the night wakings, it must be so tiring for the whole house.  I also sympathise with trying to figure out a routine which works for your LO as I don't think we've ever had the same (or even similar!) routine for more than a few days at a time.

(Gross - I've just found a great big lump of pasta in my hair, DS threw up before his nap and it hit me!)

Could your LO be teething?  This could also be stopping him from wanting to feed - teething gel a few minutes prior to his feed may help him if this is the case.

The thing which has worked most consistently for us is a short am nap followed by a long pm nap.  I would wake your LO at 7 and then aim for a 2 - 2.5 hour A time in the am then let him have a short (45 minute) sleep.  I would then give him 2.75 - 3 hours A time in the pm before another nap and aim for this to be his long one.  Some LOs aren't able to do both a long am and pm nap and need to have their morning sleep limited in order to be tired enough for the pm nap - the long pm nap is most beneficial to night time sleep.  If he's only had a short am nap then you might have more success with WTS at the afternoon nap (since at this age it's best if they're really tired so they don't wake too fully) and you may also be more confident with getting him back to sleep if he does wake as you know he's definitely tired.  I would also cut out the catnap and aim for an earlier bedtime - in the short-run putting him to bed at even 6 or 6.30pm will help him to catch up on his sleep as he's likely very overtired at the moment.

I've been 'playing' with DS's routine for the last couple of weeks and have resigned myself to the fact that he just doesn't need 2 long naps - and then today he goes and takes 2 long naps, typical!!

Let us know how it goes.

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 13:35:32 pm »
thank u so much! Do u think 45 mins is enough for him am nap?
I did nothing this morning and he slept 1.5hrs then this afternoon he was awake after 30mins..am now trying to get him to extend this?

Offline KellyC

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 13:46:01 pm »
I think 45 minutes is enough if it means he takes a long nap in the afternoon - if he takes 2 hours or so after his lunch then this is what will see him through to bedtime.  If you can get him to do 1.5 hours in the morning and the afternoon then this is fab but if you've tried everything and you're still having no luck then this may well be the way to go.  I think it's Zander's natural rhythm to have a shorter am nap and a longer pm nap though some days, like today, he likes to do both just to tease me into thinking a perfect EASY routine is possible!!

I meant to add that we've been having early wakings (5.30 ish) lately so have been giving Zander an early bedtime, usually around 6.30pm and it's worked great to help him catch up on his sleep.  Last night he slept from 6.20pm until 6.10am and because he's much less tired today I think we'll be back on track for a 7pm bedtime!  Often babies get very overtired when they're dropping their catnap (or later when they switch to one nap) so an early bedtime can help them to make the transition.

I've gone on a bit again haven't I ......

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 13:53:27 pm »
Not at all! Thats brill help! I think Ds is def overtired as nights have been awful recently..will try to shorten am nap and see how it goes..we usually dont have a catnap so he is VERY ready for bed by bedtime..i have tried earlier bedtime the other day and saw no diff but maybe i need to do it for a few days to see a diff!

Offline KellyC

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 18:04:51 pm »
I read somewhere on here that you need to stick to an early bedtime for 5-7 days when using it to try and get over over-tiredness.  Let me know how you get on tomorrow.  Remember it may not work like a miracle but gives you some more ammunition to extend the pm nap if necessary!  Zander only just made it to 6.40pm tonight so I think we'll be creeping back up to a later bedtime a bit slower than I imagined!

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 18:18:18 pm »
DP did bath tonight and he is very slow (but very sweet and DS loves it!) so ended up an even later bedtime ooops...also tookhim a while to go to sleep-..just been down and it sounds quiet but u never know with DS..if so then he has fallen asleep independently hurrah!

Offline KellyC

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 20:09:09 pm »
I hope so - it's great if he has  :)

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 20:18:18 pm »
yaya
Let me know how you get on tonight again ;)
x
Lauren x

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 07:05:48 am »
HurraH! a much better night! Ds woke at 1.30am then 4.30 (fed) then 6.30 (which is a bit early for me but great nonetheless!)
The 1.30 waking was very long as was adament DS was to fall asleep again on his own!
Do u think I should look to get rid of this wkaing if it ends up being habitual??

Offline KellyC

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 07:56:57 am »
That's great Yaya!  If you keep track of the wakings and find that it's always 1.30am but he's not eating then you could try wake to sleep.  Everytime I think I've got a habitual waking on my hands the next night is different!