Author Topic: Trying to implement EASY  (Read 1631 times)

Offline mhv

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 24, 2006, 16:56:16 pm »
Hi,
My LO is 3 weeks old, and I tried to start EASY at 2 weeks. My problem is this: when I keep him awake after feeding, he stays awake--all the way until his next feeding. No matter what we try, he won't go to sleep. He had been eating every 3 hours (with some cluster feeding when awake), but for the past 2 days, he is eating every 2 hours. How do I get him on a routine when he won't sleep consistently? When he does nap, it is usually for 2 hours, but for the past week, he has only napped twice per day. This then makes him very overtired at night. He will fall asleep while nursing, which has become the only way to get him to sleep sometimes. I'd really like to do EASY, but I'm finding it very difficult to do.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Trying to implement EASY
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 19:16:40 pm »
mhv welcome to the boards.

My first question is;

Do you know your babies temperament there is a quiz here you can try https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52283.0

It is well worth knowing, as say for example you have a spirited you have to dictate them to when naps time is.

Do you have any of the baby whispered book?

Do you have a current routine you can post for us to look at and give you some pointers?

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline mhv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 21:08:11 pm »
Everything changes daily, so it's hard to tell what kind of baby he is right now. At times, he is Angel, at times, Textbook, and then at night, he is Grumpy. I do have the first BW book and tried a 3 hr feeding routine, but that became impossible to adhere to when he would stay awake and then cluster feed every hour (we also had a problem with him not eating the first week, so we are trying to get him to gain weight). If I had to give you a sample snapshot of a typical day, it would be:

7am - 7:30 or 7:45 eat
7:30 - 10:30 sleep

10:30 - 11:15 eat
11:15 - 2 sleep

2 - 2:30 eat
2:30 - 4 awake

4 - 4:45 eat
4:45 - 6 awake

6 - 6:30 eat
6:30 - 8 awake

...and so on until 10 or 11pm

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 13:28:58 pm »
What is he like during the day at the times he doesn't nap after a feeding and activity time?  When does he fall asleep nursing, for naps or just bedtime?  I almost think he may not be sleeping the rest of the afternoon b/c he's getting such big chunks of sleep in the day.  At three weeks old, you might try waking him at 10 for his feeding, or do you prefer the 3.5 hr feeds rather than 3 hr? 
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mhv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 15:41:43 pm »
He is alert and quiet (except in the evening when he is fussy) and just likes to be held. He falls asleep nursing all the time, but he only stays asleep at bedtime (the other times, he'll wake up as soon as we put him down). I don't necessarily prefer the 3.5 hour feeds--3h is great--but sometimes I let him sleep because I know he needs it (if he hasn't gotten a lot) or he'll be overtired.

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 15:49:38 pm »
Well, to help him get on a structured routine and sleep pattern (days vs. nights) sometimes it is best to wake them at regular intervals.  I would suggest that if he falls asleep while feeding, do your best to wake him and put him down drowsy if not all the way awake.  It's in both your best interests for him to learn to fall asleep on his own and sleep in his own space.  That is unless of course you have choosen to hold him for his sleeps.  Of course, 3 weeks is still quite young, and often there's not much you can do to wake them.  These points might be best to hold onto for the next few weeks b/c sleep training can be difficult under 2 mos.  Still, it can work.  When you put him down after feeding and he's already fallen asleep, if he wakes up and starts to fuss you can try shh/pat to calm him down.  Naps tend to be hard for most babies, so it's not just your's.  I was in the same boat, but I let it go on too long, to the point of total frustration and agony.  I've sworn to myself to start the sleep training early next time  ;).
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mhv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 22:42:20 pm »
Thanks for your help. I will keep working at it.