Author Topic: 9 mo old never slept through the night  (Read 984 times)

Offline sleeplessinIndiana

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 24, 2006, 19:26:19 pm »
My 9 mo old son, Brady, has never slept through the night. We having been doing pu/pd for about a week and a half and his night wakings seem to be getting worse instead of better. Although he is now falling asleep in the crib (we used to rock him to sleep) he will often have a 2 hour stretch at night where he wakes every 10-15 min. When he wakes up that often it usually doesn't take him long to get back to sleep, but he can never STAY asleep. He is never consistent at what times he wakes up either. I recently resigned from my part time job, in part, bc my family is so exhausted from lack of sleep, my job seemed to create a lot more anxiety than the paycheck was worth so it made sense for me to stay at home for awhile. He has been on a regular routine for about a week and a half and I'm not sure how long it should take to get him sorted out. I think I've narrowed it down to 4 things it may be
1) Separation anxiety
2) Wet diapers really bother him
3) Teething
4) Too much or too little sleep during the day

I am not sure if I am dealing with one or more of these on any given day. Also, I am currently sleeping on the floor which I am not sure is making things better or not. He takes a pacifier and I am trying like crazy to get him to like a little teddy bear.  His current schedule is
7-7:30 wake and feed (oatmeal and fruit)
9:00-10:30 nap (bottle prior to nap)
11:30ish lunch (fruit and veggie)
1:00-3:00 nap (bottle prior to nap)
5:30 dinner (fruit, Gerber 3rd foods meal ie vegetable chicken)
7:00 or 7:30 bedtime (bottle before bed)

I would love some advice other than to let him cry (which even my doctor has pushed me to do).

Offline Corinne C.

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Lauren 10/8/02 and Nathan 11/2/05
Re: 9 mo old never slept through the night
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 15:02:20 pm »
Hi.  I'm not sure if I can help but I saw nobody has responded to you and I haven't gotten any responses to my question I posted 2 days ago.  I don't think his naps could be the problem because that is an appropriate amount of time for his age.  Do you put a lot of diaper cream on before he goes to bed at night?  He should be okay if the urine stays away from his skin.  Also, if he's teething have you tried a pain reliever before bedtime (Motrin lasts for 8 hrs and can be given again after 6 hrs)?  You've probably done everything you can think of but I'm just thowing stuff out there anyway.  Since Brady is 9 months and has never slept through the night PU/PD will probably take longer to work.  Keep doing it.  Consistency is the key.  If it is separation anxiety (which is normal for his age too) the PU/PD is reassuring him that you're there and are helping him get back to sleep.  That you're not abandoning him.  I know it is exhausting!  Is there anyone who can help you until it's manageable to do it on your own?  I hope it gets better soon! 

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 16:17:33 pm »

Thanks for the replies. As for the bottle and naps, they do take place in the nursery right before sleep, (which may be why his diaper gets so full so quick), but he doesn't fall asleep with the bottle anymore. Instead, he just gets drowsy and I lay him down and then he rolls around and moans for awhile until he falls asleep. In fact, he's getting really good at falling asleep in the crib, which is a big step. It's just that he wakes us so often. He doesn't stay asleep near as long as he did when we used to rock him to sleep after he had his bottle. Granted, it often doesn't take long to get him back to sleep (sometimes just a hand on him is all it takes), but every 15 mintues...?? Right now, I am 90% sure he's got some teeth coming in (his eyeteeth) b/c he's been chewing like crazy. We've been giving him Tylenol, teething tablets, and Orajel (which he HATES) before bed but if it does have any effect it doesn't last long. We've also switched diapers to Pampers Baby Dry just to see if it makes a difference on the wetness thing. Last night, he woke around 2 hours after putting him down, and then he was up off and on all night until about 6:30am. I know that it will take awhile b/c he is older but I really don't even have to do pu or pd very much at all. It's just a matter of him waking up over and over and being unable to settle.
Carmen
Carmen 

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 23:52:02 pm »
Well, anything is worth a shot at this point. The only thing I would find it hard to get around is when to give him his formula earlier in the evening. He eats dinner at or 5:00 5:30 and usually isn't intersested in anything to drink for quite some time. When we moved his bedtime up to 7:00/7:30 I've struggled with how to get that bottle in. However, we will try it for awhile to see if it helps. Thanks!
Carmen