Author Topic: sippy cups?  (Read 1253 times)

tstasko

sippy cups?
« on: April 25, 2006, 01:24:19 am »
can anyone give me a recommendation for a good starter sippy cup?  my dd looooves water - but right now i give it to her from a spoon, and the only sippy cup i have is a fancy one i received as a shower gift - very cute -but not really appropriate.  i went to the store to buy one and was completely overwhelmed! :P  what did you start your lo's on?  or is dd too young?  i don't know if this is the right place for this - please let me know and i'll move it if needed.
thanks!
tari

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Re: sippy cups?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:31:00 am »
My dd is breastfed and I chose a "Nuby" sippy cup b/c the entire top is soft. We started at 5 months as well. She LOVES it and took to it immediately! She doesn't even take a bottle, so this was a really good thing!  I got mine at Wal-Mart. (I didn't look to see where you are from...hopefully you have Wal-Marts b/c they are fabulous!)

tstasko

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:46:21 am »
Hi shelliz,
Thanks!  Yes - from the US and know Wal-Mart well! lol.  What great feedback - I bf too so that is a BIG help!  did you help her along while she held it and then she eventually took over on her own?
I'll have to pick it up tomorrow when i go shopping for the rest of my solids gear.....i swear, i am CLUELESS about this...we just started with a spoon, some rice cereal and a coffee mug! ;D  thanks again - and good to know you started your lol at 5 months too...i'm so afraid of the timing of these things!!
ts

Offline shelliz

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 02:34:10 am »
Well... I didn't offer the sippy cup every day, so she still needs some help holding it. Another sippy you may want to try (and I even like it better!!!) is one w/ a sippy straw!  I don't see a name brand on the one that I have...but it is fabulous! What I like about the sippy straw cup is that she doesn't have to tip the cup up at all. That is the part that delays some babies from being able to do it completly on their own. My dd took to it so well! She is getting better at holding the little handles. She will just grab the cup by one handle and drink away! I would highly recommend trying one of the straw ones as well!

I am right there with you on being kinda clueless on the solids stuff. I am a stay at home mom and I wasn't planning on making her babyfood. I started looking into it and decided to do it on my own. It has been really fun! Either which way you do it, you will have fun watching your daughters faces when she is trying new veggies/fruits!

Good luck!

tstasko

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 11:42:34 am »
i will check out the one with the straw as well!
yes - i am sooo looking forward to her expressions - dd is VERY expressive as it is - constantly cracks us up! 
appreciate your help!
ts
by the way - such a graceful little girl you have!  love her pretty sitting pose! :D

Offline shelliz

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 12:59:13 pm »
Scarlett's Mom,

Thank you for the compliment! Your little one is beautiful as well! She looks like a porcelin doll!  Such pretty skin! Hopefully she will grow up loving her SPF 50 when she goes out in the sun! She will be one of those w/ beautiful, young looking skin when she gets older!

(: Shelby

Offline ChasesMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 14:19:48 pm »
I haven't seen the "Nuby" cup, but my ds likes the Avent starter (i think it says 6+ mos), but he took it at 4 mos, with bm cuz he didn't liek the bottle.  he took it right away and loves chewing on the sippy part cuz it's rubber.
Michelle-28, Rick-28, and Chase.  After a long 3 1/2 years of trying to conceive, we got our miracle.

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 13:38:42 pm »
i have been using the Avent sippy cup since DD was about 6 + months old. Doesn't spill ever! has two great side handles and a lid!
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80