Author Topic: Likes store bought food better?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Likes store bought food better?
« on: April 25, 2006, 03:16:17 am »
Hi. I have been struggling to get Gage to eat solids. I make my own baby food, which he eats okay. However, I noticed that he CHOWS on baby food from the store (which I dont feed him unless we are traveling which is rare). Could this be possible? I dont add anything to my baby food and cook a variety. Should I just feed him store bought? I hate to do this as it is more expensive, and I can imagine it will be hard to get him to table food. He ate 13.5 oz of store bought  :o and usually only eats 5-6 oz of my baby food. Has anyone else been through this? Any suggestions?

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: Likes store bought food better?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:44:27 am »
Liv has always preferred jars...to my home cooking. even at 14 mo she will eat a whole large jar of some Heinz dinner or a rissoto but if i offer her fresh food she will eat, but definitely less in quantity. ifit is a jar she likes she will wolf it down in minutes. when itis all fresh she takes ages (so part of me thinks it is just easier for her to chew the prepared stuff as they tend to have lots of gravy or juice in them)

i just try to balance things - i offer fresh homemade stuff most of the time, but if i cannot be bothered or she is fussing a lot at what i offer i wil open a jar. same deal when we are out - she might eat some sandwich or pasta or somethign and other times she will eat a jar. funnily enough she has always preferred fresh fruit and refused from the very beginning to eat any puree fruit tins/jars

Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 04:10:43 am »
My DD is like that too, I think its because its softer and easier for her to eat. :) There isn't anything in the jared food thats not in homemade food. Like no salt, or suger. Although if you use salt, pepper, or any herbs when you make the food they may not like that.
Kimberly

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 05:56:51 am »
Alice
Have you thought about mixing them both, a bit jar mixed with your home cooking  :-\
x
Lauren x

s_olano00

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 15:57:40 pm »
DD prefers jars too. She never liked my cooking  :-[

What I do now (she's 11 months old) is that for meats, I'll give her the jar type of food, but for veggies I steam them and she eats them all right. And if she is interested, she can get whatever I have in my dish unless its a food that might cause her an allergy.

Still, she prefers the canned baby carrots to the steamed baby carrots  ???.... it definetly has to do with texture.

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 16:57:32 pm »
Thanks ladies. I will try combining and alternating both types and see what happens :-\

Offline kriswrite

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 23:42:56 pm »
Our doctors say that packaged baby food is much higher in water, and therefore has less sustinence. Maybe your child eats more because he's not getting as full? Just a thought.

Kristina
http://www.kristinaseleshanko.com/baby.htm

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 01:41:02 am »
You could be onto something there. Also, I think that it just slides down so easily and I wonder if it take awile to notice they are full. Anyway, Gage is devouring the food! I feel bad as he has probably been starving! He wakes in the middle of the night to feed sometimes. Now, that he is eating so much I have no idea how much formula he should be eating :-\ I dont want him to get a tummyache. Does anyone know the conversion rate between food oz and formula oz. ie., one oz of food= 1 oz of formula

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 03:08:18 am »
He should be having at least 24-27 oz of formula and 3 solide meals a day of about 5-8oz each.
Or at least thats the average.

I'm not 100% sure on the actual conversion rate but its in the second book. I'll look it up tomorrow and post it here :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 03:09:58 am by Karita »
Kimberly

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 03:37:06 am »
karita thanks for your reply. I found the conversion rate in the second book pg 149, for anyone else needing it. Thanks again!